Respected Contributor

Re: Purchasing less in 2020?

@homedecor1  The Scott brothers line in Kohls was very expensive and I never bought a thing!  I didnt notice last year that much was being bought.

Respected Contributor

It varies. Early in the pandemic, I created an inventory of the items in my pantry and both refrigerators. I consult it when I make our weekly dinner menu and shopping list to ensure I use what we've got on hand before buying new. 

I haven't actively shopped for clothing, but I do take advantage of Talbots online flash sales. They're just too good to pass up. Although I could afford to pay full price, I just couldn't see the sense in paying $59 for a tee shirt or almost $200 for a simple dress. I've gotten dresses, skirts and pants for $30, tee shirts for $10, a blazer for $30, etc. 

I continued to do our grocery shopping, primarily at BJ's, and took advantage of their senior hour to avoid crowds. Most of the supermarkets in our area have clearly marked directional lanes in the aisles and 6' indicators to promote social distancing. They also require masks while you're in their store. 

DH and I are both retired, so we can rely on our annuities as an income source. We live well within our means and don't splurge on expensive toys, vacations or other extravagant purchases. Since most of our spending is discretionary, we can cut back if the need arises.

Honored Contributor

Gas since I still went to my office everyday during shut down, Groceries since that was my only excitement and gifts for Grandchildren, well just because.  That is all for me I have not stimulated this economy but just increased my retirement accounts instead.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I have stopped purchasing any dressy clothing.....not going anywhere to wear them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Haven't been out to dinner or had a mani/pedi since middle of March. 

Spending more at grocery store. Spending less on clothes, shoes, cosmetics 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nothing is really open here in terms of entertainment.  Shopping isn't fun right now as most stores don't really have new stock.

Plus it's so hot out that doing anything outside isn't really an option either.

So my expenses are about half of what they normally are due to not wandering around in stores on the weekends or eating out, getting a Starbucks coffee, etc. ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I have reigned in my spending somewhat.  Though I have bought some clothing items at prices I could not resist, not on the Q if I may say so, LOL.........also have purchased some items for home.   Got a couple of Christmas decor items on Balsam Hill on clearance.   But other than that just the usual groceries and essential items you need everyday.   We have been cooking a lot more since this started but have ventured out to places recently that we trust, trying to help our local restaurants.   I do miss traveling as we are avid travelers but are saving a bundle on that alone!   Hoping to take an elaborate trip in the futureSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

My shopping/spending has drastically changed since the pandemic started. We've always been thrifty and careful how we spend our money, but do try and splurge now and then. We just celebrated our 45 Wedding Anniversay, so after all these years, we pretty much have everything we could ever need. In fact, we want to downsize quite a bit.

Other than the occasional Amazon order or quick trip for groceries, we really aren't spending much at all.

Same for us.

Honored Contributor

Naturally! Purchasing less, eating out less, going fewer places. If anyone has benefited, it's Amazon. I order basic supplies about once a month from them just to stay out of the big box stores. My friend got some great fall deals at Hobby Lobby and wants me to go with her, but I declined. Just don't want to be out in public unless necessary.

Esteemed Contributor

I was still buying some new summer clothes, thinking I would be going back to the office. Now, it’s too late to return anything and there’s no real date to return. So, I’m not going to buy any more clothes unless there is a specific reason to do so. There’s a few household items I may purchase, but I’m not in a hurry for that.

A lot of my $$ was spent on meal delivery kits that really helped me keep focused and sane during the start of the stay at home order. I’m trying to move away from them know; only getting a box once a month rather than weekly or every other week.