Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I pray they will all go this way, but being a Southerner, I am afraid to believe.

I am originally from New York, and still called a "Yankee" by some where I have lived for the past 25 years, a "neutral" state during the Civil War, but still had a slave trade.

The city voted this week to remove a couple of Confederate Statues from an area known downtown as "Cheapside".  It's claim to fame is that it was where slaves were sold.

The hate groups let it be known that they will be demonstrating here and I was having a conversation last nite at dinner with a few friends about what we and others we know will do at that time.  My friends did bring up a very good point, that these groups are not looking for recognition so much as they are looking for a fight.  I think I am leaning toward agreement with those I know who say the best course of action is to ignore them, don't engage, don't give them what they're looking for.

I hope it's not violent when they show up.  I hope they have no eyes or ears directed their way.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

A march.

@goldensrbest, if someone really wants to know, there is this wonderful thing called google. Good for you for your very brief answer that hopefully won't derail your thread.

@suzyQ3 @goldensrbest

If its something you have to google to find out the point of the post maybe it shouldnt be posted..Who knows it could be something that happened at the Red Sox game, or Patriot game..Our news here said dozens arrested at dueling counter rallies in Boston..(so whats to be proud of-)---that person had a valid question due to a vague post)........maybe thats a sign it wont make a good thread for discussion if specifics arent or cant be given due to Forum restrictions....why make someone search and guess...OR is someone just trying to find a way to get a comment in that's not within the rules.........just wondering!

@Spurt, I and many others think that Boston was a relief after the hideous events earlier. There are usually several arrests at such rallies. That's hardly unusual. So yes, I am proud not only that it was more peaceful but that so many came out to show support against the kind of scene that we saw earlier. The horrific pictures of those groups are indelibly inked in my mind, for sure.

As for that poster's question, he and I have resolved the issue.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

A march.

@goldensrbest, if someone really wants to know, there is this wonderful thing called google. Good for you for your very brief answer that hopefully won't derail your thread.

@suzyQ3 @goldensrbest

If its something you have to google to find out the point of the post maybe it shouldnt be posted..Who knows it could be something that happened at the Red Sox game, or Patriot game..Our news here said dozens arrested at dueling counter rallies in Boston..(so whats to be proud of-)---that person had a valid question due to a vague post)........maybe thats a sign it wont make a good thread for discussion if specifics arent or cant be given due to Forum restrictions....why make someone search and guess...OR is someone just trying to find a way to get a comment in that's not within the rules.........just wondering!

Your news was wrong @Spurt! 13 were arrested, not dozens! And the people who asked for the permit slithered away because their group showed up in very small numbers! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

I've been to a lot of protest marches in my life.  In recent years, anarchists ALWAYS show up to make trouble.

Sometimes they wear all black, sometimes they don't.  I know for a fact they were acting out at the Berkeley protest.

When you see trouble at a march, it's quite often an anarchist who doesn't care who is who.  You cannot always tell unless you have additional cues.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

There are videos of the prayer group in the park dome, peacefully meeting, about two dozen as reported.

The path around it is lined with thousands and thousands of counter protesters.

There was no trouble, no fighting by either group. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Spurt

There are videos of the prayer group in the park dome, peacefully meeting, about two dozen as reported.

I wouldn't doubt for one minute @Noel7 if her news showed old footage from someplace else, it's happened before.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Spurt

I wouldn't doubt for one minute @Noel7 if her news showed old footage from someplace else, it's happened before.

@JaneMarple

I watched it live, switching between stations, and later saw the videos on other sites.  IMO it was handled very well.  Boston people are pretty incredible, especially their strength and compassion after the bombing.

Honored Contributor

This is the northeast,and alot of people think differently ,than some southern people do on this subject on civil war monuments.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

This is the northeast,and alot of people think differently ,than some southern people do on this subject on civil war monuments.

@goldensrbest, there is definitely an interesting and legitimate question about that issue, although I was surprised that so many were erected much later, during the 1930s, in order to reignite the race issue.

Regardless, I firmly believe that the monuments are really not the target of those people I saw with the swords and all the other hideous regalia. The stonework just happens to be useful to these "people" right now in their quest to rile up people to their side.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest, there is definitely an interesting and legitimate question about that issue, although I was surprised that so many were erected much later, during the 1930s, in order to reignite the race issue.

Regardless, I firmly believe that the monuments are really not the target of those people I saw with the swords and all the other hideous regalia. The stonework just happens to be useful to these "people" right now in their quest to rilel up people to their side.

That may be true, they got the green light several months ago. I really dis like seeing all of this going on,very sad i think.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.