Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@september wrote:

Closed toed shoes and a jacket...yes.

Pantyhose...no.   Not where I live.  You will look like an old lady, and old ladies don't get hired for jobs where there are so many young lady applicants.

If you're going to law firms and seeing women w/o hosiery, I would not hire them for a thing.  

Wearing hosiery does not make a woman look old.  Thank goodness they still make all kinds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People need to remember that different areas of the country differ regarding what is acceptable in the workplace. September is correct. Pantyhose are very seldom seen in offices in the Southwest and Southern California. They are primarily only still worn by more elderly women.

This is a geographically huge country and what is deemed "unacceptable in one area of the country isn't necessarily the same in another. 

If I were looking for an attorney to hire, I would be far more concerned about her qualifications and experience than I would be about whether she had nylon encasing her legs.

Well, given the area in which "I" live I would consider her dress (which should include Hosiery).  It simply does speak to her professionalism in my opinion.  (like it or not).  Now, for those in the Midwestern States where it is hot, do what you have to do.

I can only speak for my region and what I would do.  Under no circumstances should a woman in proper suiting attire go bare legged.  It doesn't finish the look.

That was my point.

In "your" area pantyhose might be expected dress along with a suit.  It's not the same in other parts of the country.  Can I emphasize that any more?  

I don't know what is considered proper in the Midwest. I'm sure it differs by city, county and state.  I was speaking of the Southwest and yes, it's hot and no, women do not wear hose.  

A flight attendant in the Southwest and the Midwest, Northeast, Northwest (whatever) will likely NEED those hosieries....as the industry dictates. That's the "industry" despite the region.

Who was talking about flight attendants?  Not an industry that is in the forefront of forward thinking for women's dress anyway.  

I'm not going to spend the evening cherry picking different job requirements and dress codes.  I was speaking IN GENERAL for a specific geographical area. 

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

In the NE , women still wear pantyhose in courtrooms, financial offices and other areas.

DO NOT wear open toed shoes or sandals to an interview.  Look around and see what the other employees are wearing, especially the women.  "When in Rome"...

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

Holy quotes, Batman.  A little highlighting and deleting doesn't take long to keep the thread from being cluttered with quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes in quotes.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps job related questions could mention where in the country, this interview would take place?   

Silicon Valley and the SF Bay Area is very casual.  My son's job moved him from this area to Austin, and it's also very casual there.  No..he's never worn hose, and I'm sure his female colleagues don't, either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@september wrote:

Oh geez...let the pantyhose wars begin....again!

Those of us who don't wear them...are doomed.Cat Indifferent

No you're not.  This all depends on where you work (type of job) age and a lot of other stuff.

My take on this is if you go so far as to wear the suit and heels, you should wear the hosiery.  

Well, you did say you wouldn't hire an attorney (paraphrasing here) who didn't wear pantyhose.  You might find it's hard to get one where I live, who meets your expectations 

I did.  No I wouldn't hire one who does not wear hosiery.  I'm speaking for MYSELF.  You can do what you like.  I live in an area where lots of corporate offices are (Finance) Hedge Fund, Large Banks, Some of the Country's Top Law Firms, Large Accounting Firms, Large Consumer Products conglomerates (worked in plenty) and they wear hosiery.

I've read Kate Middleton seems to have re-ignited the turn "back-to" hosiery.  This is just not common (not wearing hosiery) where I live.  That's why I said I wouldn't hire one (and I still won't).

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@september wrote:

Closed toed shoes and a jacket...yes.

Pantyhose...no.   Not where I live.  You will look like an old lady, and old ladies don't get hired for jobs where there are so many young lady applicants.

If you're going to law firms and seeing women w/o hosiery, I would not hire them for a thing.  

Wearing hosiery does not make a woman look old.  Thank goodness they still make all kinds.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People need to remember that different areas of the country differ regarding what is acceptable in the workplace. September is correct. Pantyhose are very seldom seen in offices in the Southwest and Southern California. They are primarily only still worn by more elderly women.

This is a geographically huge country and what is deemed "unacceptable in one area of the country isn't necessarily the same in another. 

If I were looking for an attorney to hire, I would be far more concerned about her qualifications and experience than I would be about whether she had nylon encasing her legs.

Well, given the area in which "I" live I would consider her dress (which should include Hosiery).  It simply does speak to her professionalism in my opinion.  (like it or not).  Now, for those in the Midwestern States where it is hot, do what you have to do.

I can only speak for my region and what I would do.  Under no circumstances should a woman in proper suiting attire go bare legged.  It doesn't finish the look.

That was my point.

In "your" area pantyhose might be expected dress along with a suit.  It's not the same in other parts of the country.  Can I emphasize that any more?  

I don't know what is considered proper in the Midwest. I'm sure it differs by city, county and state.  I was speaking of the Southwest and yes, it's hot and no, women do not wear hose.  

A flight attendant in the Southwest and the Midwest, Northeast, Northwest (whatever) will likely NEED those hosieries....as the industry dictates. That's the "industry" despite the region.

Who was talking about flight attendants?  Not an industry that is in the forefront of forward thinking for women's dress anyway.  

I'm not going to spend the evening cherry picking different job requirements and dress codes.  I was speaking IN GENERAL for a specific geographical area. 

YOU said that the region mentioned women don't wear panty hose.  I added that in some industries THE REGION DOESN'T MATTER, but rather the dress code is set by the industry.  What of it?

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor
Wow, lots of great advice here! I was traveling most of today....logged in to read and was surprised this created a "pantyhose war" lol..... Yes, I really don't like them but if I will wear them as this office was very conservative professional. Thank you everyone:-) Happy 4th!