Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proper Etiquette with Workers/Helpers - Question

@RinaRina wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

If you're paying cash, maybe just hand the worker the whole amount rather than so much to each one.  Then say something like here, you guys can split it as you want or something.  Maybe the working brother knows he is carrying the other one and is good with it.

==============================

Haha!! Funny you should say that because the one that does ALL the work always tells me to give the cellphone brother the money.  And of course, he's on his phone!  So, I always count the money aloud, so the worker bro' can hear.  Woman Wink 

@RinaRina , then it sounds like he is well aware.  As long as you are happy with the work being done for the amount you are paying I wouldn't worry about it.  Maybe they take turns on jobs...

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If the work gets done and you're happy with the amount you're paying for it, I'd just let them divide the work however they want to and leave them to do it their way. If you're unhappy for other reasons, I'd tell them you don't need their help anymore. I don't think you're going to be able to just get the one brother to do it alone.

I agree! If the work is getting done within the timeframe and budget that is satisfactory to you, it's up to the workers to work out any issues between them. If you are comfortable with the quality, price and timeliness then there is no problem. Who is to say that if someone else is sent, you might have more serious issues crop up?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Why are you still using them, when the agency told you they were no longer referring them to customers because of the work ethic?  

Stop offering them work.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina   It is customary for an employer to make his expectations known when he hires someone.  I would mention since they're being paid hourly, you expect no cell phone use.  These guys were taking advantage of you. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are you paying them both an hourly rate, or are you paying for the job?  There's your answer.  If you are paying by the job, it is up to them to figure out the split.

Oh, and etiquette and rudeness doesn't affect a business transaction, which this is.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

If you've been calling them on their cellphones to give them jobs, why can't you just stop calling them?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina wrote:

Hi ladies,

As many of you know who've seen my posts, I'm always concerned about not hurting people's feelings.

I have 2 young brothers who come to my house periodically to help me do things that I'm physically unable to do.

The problem is, one is helpful and the other is not.

The woman who initially sent the boys to my house last year told me a few months ago, she was no longer referring them because (as per her other clients) "they don't work".  Apparently, customers complained about their excessive cellphone use.

Anyway, instead of going thru the referring agency, for the last 8 months, I've been callling the boys on their cellphones to give them jobs.

However, I recently realized, ONE of them really --- does as little work as possible, and I probably should not use him anymore.  Why pay him if his brother is going to do all the work?

How do I resolve this without being rude?

It sounds like you need to give them something much more valuable then money. It'll probably help to use the sandwich method. Something like this:

Boys, I really appreciate all the help you've been to me over the last several months. You've done things I'm not able to do myself and have eased my mind because I knew I could count on you.

However, I've noticed some things that are concerning to me because if you don't straighten this out, it could very well have a negative effect for your future. To illustrate, do you think Michael Jordan got to be so good at basketball by spending most of his time on the phone? Do you think he would have been paid millions and kept his job if he let the rest of the team make most of the effort? Are you aware that not all the players are paid the same amount? Do you know why that is? You really need to think about this and decide if you're going to be a star player or not. 

Again, I'm grateful to you for all you've done to help me. Now here's what you've *earned* for today.

*I know someone who had his sons work for the family business during the summer breaks and when he saw them not working at a reasonable pace, he commented 'right now you're just earning $4 an hour' and they knew to step it up if they wanted the agreed upon amount of $6/hr.