Respected Contributor

Proper Etiquette with Workers/Helpers - Question

[ Edited ]

Hi ladies,

As many of you know who've seen my posts, I'm always concerned about not hurting people's feelings.

I have 2 young brothers who come to my house periodically to help me do things that I'm physically unable to do.

The problem is, one is helpful and the other is not.

The woman who initially sent the boys to my house last year told me a few months ago, she was no longer referring them because (as per her other clients) "they don't work".  Apparently, customers complained about their excessive cellphone use.

Anyway, instead of going thru the referring agency, for the last 8 months, I've been callling the boys on their cellphones to give them jobs.

However, I recently realized, ONE of them really --- does as little work as possible, and I probably should not use him anymore.  Why pay him if his brother is going to do all the work?

How do I resolve this without being rude?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Proper Etiquette with Workers/Helpers - Question

If you're paying cash, maybe just hand the worker the whole amount rather than so much to each one.  Then say something like here, you guys can split it as you want or something.  Maybe the working brother knows he is carrying the other one and is good with it.

Honored Contributor

Tell them nicely that you don't need their help anymore. Period.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

There's nothing to resolve, don't use them anymore and go back to the agency that had originally referred them to you.  

Tell them you would prefer they not send the same people as last year.

Honored Contributor

You could call just the one who works and tell him you just need one person. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If I were happy with the work they had been doing, I would do as @Wsmom suggests and give the money to the one brother.  I only care that I get my jobs done properly and in a timely manner for a reasonable sum.

I wouldn't mention your observation to either boy.  I'm quite sure both brothers know who is doing all the work.

On the other hand, if this bothers you and you think you can get your work done by someone else for less, stop using the brothers.

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

Rude? Hiring someone to work that doesn't work to me is called charity. Just call the one that works, simple! Maybe give him a little raise.

"Telling it like it is" to me is not rude. If the recipient doesn't like it? Not my problem. If you've read my posts? I have no control over others emotions, only mine.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we remodel our kitchen if they are in here doing something I don't like I won't have a problem throwing them out. LOL!!!

Hey I threw the cable guy out over 20 years ago. Smiley LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wsmom wrote:

If you're paying cash, maybe just hand the worker the whole amount rather than so much to each one.  Then say something like here, you guys can split it as you want or something.  Maybe the working brother knows he is carrying the other one and is good with it.

==============================

Haha!! Funny you should say that because the one that does ALL the work always tells me to give the cellphone brother the money.  And of course, he's on his phone!  So, I always count the money aloud, so the worker bro' can hear.  Woman Wink 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

If the work gets done and you're happy with the amount you're paying for it, I'd just let them divide the work however they want to and leave them to do it their way. If you're unhappy for other reasons, I'd tell them you don't need their help anymore. I don't think you're going to be able to just get the one brother to do it alone.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr