Trusted Contributor

Re: Pronunciation of the word "Button"

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

One ex-host would say "impordant" instead of "important".

It was so weird. You would think at least one person would have told her to stop saying that.

I've heard this many times, drives me nuts

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

Wonder why Lori Greiner pronounces her last name "Gren eer" instead of "Green er".

Honored Contributor

@chiclet 

I do not leave out the "t's". Hear it with other words that have the t or double t, all the time. Will say I do not pronounce it with the "o" as in "ton", more like butten/buttin.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I am starting to hear newscasters dropping the t's in the area when I live.  This is not a local dialect, but the newscasters and grew up in this area.  It makes me scratch my head. I have no idea why they do this.

Some of the words they are pronouncing without the t's are

Button

Cotton

Elementary

Mountain

Martin

Mitten

There is definetly a shift in the language going on.  What is funny, IMO, is that I don't hear anyone other than those on TV talking this way.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet  It's definitely geographical IMO. My daugter was born and raised on the West coast and has lived on the East coast for over 20 years. Now when she says "cotton", it comes out missing the t's. Cah-un or something like that. 

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Also I pronounce the word "little" as if it's spelled "liddle"

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What @chiclet  described is a matter of education and not regional accent; and imo, not necessarily glottal attack.

It is not an unkind thing to make corrections. We, as instructors do that all the time. I am thankful for my one [highly educated] Professor who did not think it unkind to correct me when I was wrong. It was both caring & kind!

I wouldn't think to correct regional accents! (With Philadelphia's triphongs all over the place? Are you kidding?!)

@Daisy Maybe for the same reason the character, Hyacinth Bucket pronounces the surname "bouquet."

Respected Contributor

I don't think the OP is saying that people should over-emphasize the T sound.  

Comparing the 2 versions:  in the first example, the "n" sound is the one you hear when your lips are closed and you "hum" the "n" sound. 

1. Say "bu" and then your mouth closes, your tongue hits the front teeth area to form the T sound (but it's actually mostly silent here) and then the aforementioned "n" sound is made. 

2. Say "bu" and leave your mouth wide open -- lips do not meet and tongue stays flat -- and then say the "un."  

There is a big difference and the 2nd pronunciation seems forced to me - like someone thinks they're being cool by saying it this silly way. 

Respected Contributor

The most commonly mispronounced word I hear is the preposition - to. So many say ta.

The simplest of words. Its pronounced "tu" the same as the adverb too and the adjective two.  Those aren't mispronounced but for some reason to is.

It's not pronounced "ta" but I hear it everywhere. Ta, ta, ta. 

Respected Contributor

This thread is too funny.

Gotta luv Hyacinth Bucket - that Bucket woman!!  Woman LOL

Flowers are nature's way of laughing