Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pronunciation of the word "Button"

Yes, I think they all need a pronunciation class with Professor Higgins.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

I think what you are talking about is geographic differences. I always use the example of the word "roof"?  Is it "ruuf" or "rooof"? I have lived in difference areas of this country and I am always amazed at this.

How do you say "bagel" and I could go on and on. 

And as a target of those that comment it hurts my feelings.

I agree.  I can drive 2 hours south and hear a whole different way of pronouncing words.

My dad has a PhD in English/Lit and History. He always said it's not nice to criticize someone else's pronunciation, grammar, etc because words are said differently in different parts of the country.  He said it's always better to be kind and accept people as they are.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

It's definately not Buh-On.  it's Buh-In.

Woman Happy

@candys mine  That's how I always say it with the in and it seems that those complaining are complaining about many now saying it with the ON instead!  It is called a glottal sound and correctly used in this country. 

https://youtu.be/FCr4zouRwpY

Honored Contributor

This pronunciation is called a "glottal stop". It is a local pronunciation, acceptable to the ear of some, not to the ear of others 

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I'm not sure when that pronunciation started but it always makes me think of the old "valley girl" speak. I'm thinking, in my southern speak, that I always said something like it but I made it as one word. When I hear it, it sounds like "buh in", two words. I've always said "buhun" not really saying the "t". Cotton would be another example. Two other words that ruffle my feathers are realtor (relator)/realty (reality) and jewelry (jewlery). Far be it for me to talk much about how people talk...I have trouble saying February Woman LOL 

I was a speech therapist for most of my professional life, and you can feel safe sitting next to me and talking about what you want, @Carolina925.

I'm sure I'll understand you just fine, and bottom line, that's what really counts.

Honored Contributor

If you noticed @chiclet, others did too.  

Respected Contributor

@Pook  Just curious,  East Coast too? 

Honored Contributor

and how some pronounce

bet room   instead of bedroom!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

And no is bothered by "this is cawed midnight blue and this one is cawed rosy pink"?

Respected Contributor

Isn't it funny, the things we notice that cause irritation?  The simplest of things.  But I notice these type of things too.  There is an Oil of Olay commercial where the model is talking about the product and I try not to listen to it anymore because the way she pronounces the word - I think the word is "important" she semi drops the t sound in the word and it just irritates me.

Take the word horrible.  I'm from the NE and say "harrible".  A roof to me rhymes with aloof and not rough.  And its washer, not warsher like the Pillowman says.

Yes, its all a regional thing.  We can't help it.  You say tomayto, I say tomaaahto!!  Peecan or Peecon.  and so it goes....

Flowers are nature's way of laughing