Respected Contributor

Pronunciation of the word "Button"

It is silly for something so unimportant to bother you but every time I hear it pronounced   Buh on    leaving out the t's,  I cringe.  At first I thought it was just really young people but I hear it on others too. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pronunciation of the word "Button"

One ex-host would say "impordant" instead of "important".

It was so weird. You would think at least one person would have told her to stop saying that.

Honored Contributor

I think what you are talking about is geographic differences. I always use the example of the word "roof"?  Is it "ruuf" or "rooof"? I have lived in difference areas of this country and I am always amazed at this.

How do you say "bagel" and I could go on and on. 

And as a target of those that comment it hurts my feelings.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

It's definately not Buh-On.  it's Buh-In.

Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

A current host also says "impordant", but what the heck.

Honored Contributor

I have been hearing words like button and important on t.v. said this way recently by mostly younger celebs.  I think it's kind of a fad way of saying these words.  It doesn't really bother me but I have noticed it.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure when that pronunciation started but it always makes me think of the old "valley girl" speak. I'm thinking, in my southern speak, that I always said something like it but I made it as one word. When I hear it, it sounds like "buh in", two words. I've always said "buhun" not really saying the "t". Cotton would be another example. Two other words that ruffle my feathers are realtor (relator)/realty (reality) and jewelry (jewlery). Far be it for me to talk much about how people talk...I have trouble saying February Woman LOL 

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 , my ex used to say "wheelbar" for wheelbarrow and "barpit" for borrow pit; it took me forever to realize what he was saying. In my southern speak, I always inadvertently add syllables so my wheelbarrow ends up something like "wheeyellbaoro". Differences make the world go 'round, right?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine wrote:

It's definately not Buh-On.  it's Buh-In.

Woman Happy

@candys mine 

lol! I hope you meant this to be funny because it is!

and yes, just no! No, there is no "buh on". No, no to any regional thing people lol! It is button in the finest Queens English lol! and there is no exception ok? Ok.

And @Carolina925,

I think we are sisters!😄 

Wait! I do say it without the tt's! I mean say it everyone. Do you really say it with the tt's pronounced?!

If you do, you know youj are weird right, unless you're from England lol!

and I can say that-my Uncle is.

But still I don't say it like a certain host-its more like a very quick bu..n,

coh..n, isn't it?

I'm SURE you will all agree with me!! 😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I cannot recall every hearing the double ts in button, cotton, etc actually being ennunciated by anyone - ever!  If I did, I would think it odd if someone actually accentuated those ts.