Honored Contributor

Professional Development: Empathy Training

Just curious-

The topic of our latest PD was empathy training.  Several people among the group rotations were getting confused RE the difference between the terms sympathy and empathy.

We have seen various definitions in the literature, but I'm curious to know how YOU define, in your own words, the difference between the two concepts.

Or, if you think they are the same, please share why.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Professional Development: Empathy Training

This is one of the videos we watched to spark discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Evwgu369Jw

Honored Contributor

To me,empathy is when you can put yourself in the other persons shoes and try to understand where they are coming from even if you have not experienced the same thing.

Honored Contributor

Sympathy = Sorrow

Empathy = Understanding

Honored Contributor

Sympathy is what we give when we don't know how to help.Empathy is trying to understand the feelings and or pain and allow it to be valid.thThis is only MY opinion for anyone who reads this and doesn't agree with me.

Respected Contributor

I think it's complicated

I agree with the video presenter than empathy is the way to make a connection and to do that, you need to suspend judgment and just listen and offer whatever support you can.

However, it depends on your role in that person's life.  Clearly, if you are a parent, teacher, counselor, etc., you may, at some point need to interject judgment - and direction because otherwise you are enabling.

It's fine to "understand" why someone is a bully or is taking drugs, but intervention is not only appropriate, but necessary in that young person's life.

Honored Contributor

I'll never forget, I shared something very personal with my son and he said, " I'm so sorry you had to go through that Mother"." I can't imagine what it would be like to have to live like that, evidently you were able to get past that experience, because you were such a good Mum and always put me first".  To me that's empathy. I think my son should be working in mental health or human resources, but he's a Techy type.

Honored Contributor

Sympathy involves a degree of judgment.  If you sympathize with someone, you pity their situation, but don't necessarily believe it can happen to you. Empathy is the understanding that their suffering could easily be yours, as well.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think someone can be taught to express sympathy but empathy is another matter. If, for whatever reason, a person cannot put him/herself in another’s place, I don’t know how you can elicit genuine empathy. In fact, several personality disorders have lack of empathy as one of the most significant characteristics of these conditions. I don’t know how one could fake empathy.

Honored Contributor

How can you “train” for this?