Honored Contributor

Re: Problem at Work-Reasonable Accomodation Issue at Work

@Happiness Is Inside JOB   

Since the reasonable accommodation paperwork needs a beginning and end date, I would think you need to get on the books with the PT people so you will have a date range for the RA office.

Once you get the beginning and end dates (at this point the end date might be an estimate depending on how well PT works for you), then I would send an email.

Question:  Are you or leadership responsible for providing the dates to the RA Office?  

I fully endorse the email route as it is date and time stamped Heart I would probably start it off this way.

Good Morning John Smiley Very Happy,

I wanted to thank you for stopping by last Friday to briefly discuss alternatives to the formal reasonable accommodation process.  Because the RA office has approved my application, it is my intention to follow that route for my needs.

*** I don't know if this is where you need to specify the date range and next steps because I don't know your process.  Does he send the info to RA office and then they draft an agreement and you both sign or what?***

I am probably not the best person to give you advice because I am painfully straightforward.  I'm not bluny, I just leave little room to wiggle, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Do things by the book, which you are doing. Since it sounds as if the supervisor is s stumbling block, I would call a meeting with supervisor, RA office because you need clarification. 

Respected Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB 

As @VaBelle35  suggested document every encounter you have with this manager. Send follow-up e-mails recapping any conversations or interactions you have with him from here on. 

You will have a “fact trail” if you need it.

Honored Contributor

@ Montana   That's exactly why I suggested a semi-friendly short email that recapped Friday's convo.  You gotta CYA sometimes. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

It sounds to me that your supervisor doesn't believe you have a back issue.  He asked about the issue and when you started PT.  I think he is wanting to go around the policy because he doesn't agree this extra day should be permanent.  I could be totally off base.  I have 2 master degrees in reading minds of sneaky bosses.  I'm feeling you don't have a boss=employee relationship with him.  I would just go and talk with him.

Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

It sounds to me that your supervisor doesn't believe you have a back issue.  He asked about the issue and when you started PT.  I think he is wanting to go around the policy because he doesn't agree this extra day should be permanent.  I could be totally off base.  I have 2 master degrees in reading minds of sneaky bosses.  I'm feeling you don't have a boss=employee relationship with him.  I would just go and talk with him.

GC

I am worker and I do not have a social relationship with him.  I have a feeling you are right.

I don't want to talk to him as I am not confident in my ability to Sell my situation.  I thought my doctors note was enough and I did not think it was wise to go into medical details.

I would love to hear all comments!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

As a side note

• When he asks if I have made  physical therapy appointment, I have said no because the request was not approved.

Maybe that was a mistake, should I have made physical therapy appointment?

Should I take leave to begin physical therapy until the matter is resolved?

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand how PT works it's way into RA, that makes no sense to me.  PT is medical visit so just like a dentist appointment or your yearly physical; you would request time off from your supervisor.  If you were granted a telecommute day under RA, you would not be required to to your PT on that day.  That should not, in opinion, have been lumped into RA.  It sounds to me that neither you nor your supervisor understands the RA approval process.  You have a specific department that approves/denies RA requests and your's was approved so your supervisor cannot renegotiate or amend or deny it.  It was approved.  When he questionned the approval, you should have immediately gone to back to the RA Office and reported his failure to comply with the agreement and let them handle it.  That's their job.  You might want clarify the PT with them, that PT is part of the RA agreement.   Stop communicating in any with that supervisor about something that your RA Office has already approved, advise them that he will not comply and let them handle it.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that you need to document everything.  The email that someone suggested sounded like a good idea to me.  I've also seen too many people over the years get laid off or fired because of extra needs.  That's obviously not the excuse they give for the firing (hello lawsuit), but it's painfully obvious to others.  My advice is to document your situation and then only take that 2nd telecommute day as long as you need - 10 weeks or so -- and then get back to your normal routine.  

Honored Contributor

accommodatingMonday morning first thing,

CALL THE PERSON YOU WORKED WITH FOR YOUR RA

TELL  them that you are not clear what is going on and that during your discussion with your supervisor, he gave you some suggestions which were not clear.

REQUEST THAT THEY SET UP A MEETING WITH THEIR REPRESENTATIVE, YOUR SUPERVISOR & yourself to clarify everything, ASAP!

Sorry, to yell, but Been There, Done That, it can go horribly wrong, especially when dealing with someone who is already Involved in an EEOC suit.  

Do this to protect your rights, and the acomodation for which you have already been approved.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras