Honored Contributor

Re: Problem Student on University Campus

@beach-mom 

You point out why it is now necessary in this world to be able to defend and protect oneself, and possibly others. Unfortunately many in law enforcement can do little until after the fact. I personally prefer the former to the latter.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

So far 12 (correct me if wrong) states allows concealed carry with permits on public campuses-meaning colleges/universities.

There are restrictions if a college has what is considered "adequate" security.

I am on the fence about this issue.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

So far 12 (correct me if wrong) states allows concealed carry with permits on public campuses-meaning colleges/universities.

I was a battered wife.  When I finally left, he threatened to kill me.  The ONLY thing that disuaded him was that I bought a gun and told him that if he came after me I would kill him with it.  (It also helped that the day I left him, I snapped and as he was twisting my arm, I jerked free and told him to get away from me or I'd kill him with my bare hands - the adreniline was really flowing and it was the first time I'd ever fought back.)  And since he knew I knew how to use a gun - we had gone shooting together - he believed I'd do it.  So he never bothered me again.

So I definitely believe in the power of self protection when faced with either a bully or an unstable person.  I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but I am no longer willing to be a victim.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I was a battered wife.  When I finally left, he threatened to kill me.  The ONLY thing that disuaded him was that I bought a gun and told him that if he came after me I would kill him with it.  (It also helped that the day I left him, I snapped and as he was twisting my arm, I jerked free and told him to get away from me or I'd kill him with my bare hands - the adreniline was really flowing and it was the first time I'd ever fought back.)  And since he knew I knew how to use a gun - we had gone shooting together - he believed I'd do it.  So he never bothered me again.

So I definitely believe in the power of self protection when faced with either a bully or an unstable person.  I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but I am no longer willing to be a victim.

@Isobel Archer   I am so sorry you went through that and I'm glad you are here to share your story.

I believe in self-protection, too.  I'm only concerned about carrying on campus.  That is the one that has me pro-ing and con-ing, if you will.

I'm not offended at all and "pffft* to anyone who might be.

I would want the campus issue to be shored up with extensive training and perhaps a special CHL license.  Passing the generic shooting test at the range isn't always licensing the best shot.  One may have a CHL but not be the best person to defend fellow students on campus.

Again, I'm glad you are here.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Contact the dean in writing and make a copy. Then send a follow up email to make sure your letter arrived. Contact the FBI. SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING.