Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problem Student on University Campus

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@beach-mom YES! Were it me, I'd be rattling EVERY single chain I could think of!  Report it vehemently to the school, "bother" the police, try to contact the chief to get him to OK the ban, go to the local press and local TV.

There was another school shooting just this week. I'd be putting the "active" in pro-active, you darn right I would!

Contact the local office of the FBI as someone else stated.

I think I would position myself in front of DS door with a trusty shotgun and a Marine on either side of me,  Seriously, call and report to FBI.  We tell kids if they see anything suspecious to let someone know.  Raise the alarm!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

If you take the reporting route, keep in mind your source is your son.

If this student is harboring a vendetta, and his family is well connected, a name will be available.

If the university and the police are aware, then I still feel there really is nothing you can say that will make a difference.

I know you are concerned but running to the press, the FBI, members of Congress is really going off the rails here.

See something, say something.  I get it. 

Something was seen, and something was said.

Perhaps a good long talk with your son would be the best guidance for you.

Are you sure that his name would be made available, @Cakers3? Even assuming the family is well-connected, that would seem to me a significant breach of privacy.

When we occasionally have call the police about something in our neighborhood, they always tell us that our names would never be made public.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Many are saying ‘something’ should be done & there should be ‘action’.

What exact something/action should be taken?

@sidsmom 

Many of us have suggested some very specific actions.

Would be great to hear any of those you might like to make.

@Drythe 

I was referring to...

as a private citizen, what do you think the authorities should do

and what legal actions they should take?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Many are saying ‘something’ should be done & there should be ‘action’.

What exact something/action should be taken?

@sidsmom 

Many of us have suggested some very specific actions.

Would be great to hear any of those you might like to make.

@Drythe 

I was referring to...

as a private citizen, what do you think the authorities should do

and what legal actions they should take?

@sidsmom 

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on this. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

If your son is certain about all you have told us I would report it to the FBI. 

You have stated that the parents are connected. So the almighty dollar may take precedence.

In past incidences the chain of command and information has been broken or not taken seriously,

I also would consider finding a safe place for your son.

Do you believe he would be a target or is he more apt to be random?

I cannot speak for you but I would do whatever it takes to get this situation under control.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never contact this thug's parents.  That is getting too personal.  They might even report you to the authorities.  What would they do besides defend their son.

But I definitely would contact the university.  I doubt you will get to speak to the president, but security.........anyone.  Police, FBI.  something.......

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would call the police chief, not the school.  They're too invested in keeping their name untarnished, especially since the boy's parents are well connected there. I would only speak to the chief, I would surely ask him or her if your name will be keep anonymous. You should leave that conversation being 100% assured that no stone is being unturned.

If you're not happy with the reassurances you get from the chief (don't expect to hear information that would jeopardize their investigation), then I would contact the FBI, verbally and in writing.

Do not call the news media or do anything that may get back to, irritate or anger this young man.  Do not contact a local politician, especially if they may know or associate with his parents.

Remind your son to do everything he can to hide his daily whereabouts from this guy too.

I wish you the best.

Valued Contributor

I would do some sleuthing, get this student’s parent’s email address, and send them an email. Tell them that their son has threatened multiple students with what sounds like an act of terrorism, and regardless of whether or not they believe their son is capable of that level of violence, the fact that he is issuing these threats is proof enough that he is in need of medical help. I would remind them how whenever parents of students who commit violent crimes make statements after the act occurs, they are always in shock and state how they never thought their child was capable of such things. I would do my best to keep the tone of the email about being concerned about their son and the other students’ health and safety.  If the parents responded saying their kid was fine, their kid would never do such a thing, etc., then I would respond and let them know that if something bad happens at the hands of their child that you would be making your email and their response public. If they take that as a threat, then so be it. Their kid has been making threats much worse, and if the police are already aware of the situation, they’re not going to bring you up on charges for stating the obvious.

Respected Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

I would call the police chief, not the school.  They're too invested in keeping their name untarnished, especially since the boy's parents are well connected there. I would only speak to the chief, I would surely ask him or her if your name will be keep anonymous. You should leave that conversation being 100% assured that no stone is being unturned.

If you're not happy with the reassurances you get from the chief (don't expect to hear information that would jeopardize their investigation), then I would contact the FBI, verbally and in writing.

Do not call the news media or do anything that may get back to, irritate or anger this young man.  Maybe not a politician, if they maybe know the parents.

Remind your son to do everything he can to hide his daily whereabouts from this guy too.

I wish you the best.

Calling the campus police chief is calling the school. No agency is as highly trained as the FBI. Their agents know exactly how to interview potential witnesses while respecting confidentiality.  

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I would be terrified and I agree notify everyone you can....better to overreact than be sorry that you minded your own business.It is a sad space in time right now when people are afraid at our schools and places of worship.