Esteemed Contributor

Re: Probably a Lame Topic, but…

This is purely my problem, but a few years ago, right after my first stroke when I was even more dysfunctional, Melvin opened his own thread on this topic.  

For some reason he was on a mission and was not tactful.  Still hurts.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@santorini wrote:

@shoppingless wrote:

I also try to use correct grammar, etc. However, with social media I often go for speed rather than perfection.

What REALLY annoys me is when people correct someone elses spelling and grammar on social media. I see it often on these boards. Grr.

That doesn't bother me at all.  It may prevent someone else from looking not very smart in a future conversation. Maybe they aren't aware that the word they are using is a poor choice.  

@santorini   @shoppingless

Doesn't bother me either, and not sure why it would bother anyone.

Not helping someone out is like seeing someone walk by with a strip of toilet paper stuck to their shoe, and not diplomatically pointing it out, and get that thing off their shoe.  Seems rather unkind to just let it pass. 

JMO, of course.  

@Tinkrbl44    Privately letting someone know that they have toilet paper stuck to their shoe is one thing. Publicly announcing to the entire board that a poster has a spelling or grammatical error in their post is another thing. This is not helping one out. It is publicly shaming another person. We all make mistakes, even the self professed grammar police. I've certainly made my share. 

@50Mickey 

Point taken, but I didn't suggest, or even imply,  that the person should be publicly shamed.  You added that.

Honored Contributor

I'll admit I make my share of mistakes due to carelessness but I am battling against my iPad which seems to have a mind of its own in terms of what I'm wanting to say. You'd think this feature would have improved over the years rather than worsen. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    

Privately letting someone know that they have toilet paper stuck to their shoe is one thing. Publicly announcing to the entire board that a poster has a spelling or grammatical error in their post is another thing. This is not helping one out. It is publicly shaming another person. We all make mistakes, even the self professed grammar police. I've certainly made my share. 

@Tinkrbl44 Nobody has to announce it to the BB.  Those who know the difference will spot it without it being pointed out!

You can usually tell if it is just a typo!

Google is everybody's friend!  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes but not always.

Honored Contributor

I use spell check a lot.  I do proof read and some times my proof reading does not work.  Oh well its not a big deal if a word is spelled wrong or incorrect grammer.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

All the time

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain @I have the same problem. My iPad has a mind of its own. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse @This is my problem too. Why can't Apple fix this problem? It's the only thing I don't like about my iPad. The device changes so many words.