Honored Contributor

Probably a Lame Topic, but…

[ Edited ]

Do y'all ever go back & read something you just posted, only to edit it for spelling & grammar?  I do it all the time!  This morning I must have edited one of my posts 3 times because of incorrect use of grammar.

1. I used the wrong tense of a verb.
  2. I ended a sentence with a preposition...GASP!
  3. Mis-spelled a word & spell check didn't catch it.

It was early...that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Just edited to add a period at the end of sentence #3.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Re: Probably a Lame Topic, but…

As an ex-legal secretary for a short time in my working life, I considered myself a crack typist.  Now I can't get through a sentence without screwing up at least twice.  So I try to read before I hit post.

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Do y'all ever got back & read something you just posted, only to edit it for spelling & grammar?  I do it all the time!  This morning I must have edited one of my posts 3 times because of incorrect use of grammar.

3. Mis-spelled a word & spell check didn't catch it

@SurferWife   Well, color me lame, too.  I am right with you.  🤓

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife You bet

I do it all the time. Too often I type comments and don't proof read it until after I post it. 

I used to do accounts payable. So every keystroke had to be accurate. Now I am shocked at how careless my typing has become. Guess I should learn to use Spellcheck more. 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife   Yes, frequently!

Honored Contributor

I am so glad to read that I am not alone in this struggle...LOL!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Occasional Contributor

I am a retired high school English teacher and before I received my first teaching assignment, I was employed by a white glove law firm in New York City.  I prefer writing letters to companies with questions or complaints.  I often receive responses that I should call their 800 number.  But I persist . . . and have usually received a letter or a check in the mail.  

I will email but do not like to text.  I insist my friends and family call me on my home phone.  I know how to set up a new computer and have recently bought a new Lenovo Chrome Bookl.  My west coast relatives are all Apple users.  Here in NYC, there are users of all tech companies.

I, too, check my writing for spelling, sentence structure and vocabulary.  My new Chromebook is updated with pop ups that correct spelling and sentence structure.

So, yes, all my good writing habits are still with me.

They have helped me in my past career and now with part time work.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

Do y'all ever got back & read something you just posted, only to edit it for spelling & grammar?  I do it all the time!  This morning I must have edited one of my posts 3 times because of incorrect use of grammar.

3. Mis-spelled a word & spell check didn't catch it.

Just edited to add a period at the end of sentence #3.

@SurferWife 

Well, that's a good story ... and you should stick to it ... LOL.

Many years ago I made a little money doing proof reading, so I also have an eagle eye.   I do my best to post with few or no mistakes.  

When mistakes happen, I blame my fingers for not following my brain's instructions precisely.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

You are not alone. I do it all of the time. I embarrass myself sometimes when I come back and reread what I have written.

Honored Contributor

I sure do !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan