Honored Contributor

Re: Probably a Lame Topic, but…

Yes!

There are also times when my fingers are faster than my brain and I'll leave words out.

Honored Contributor

I would have to google 'preposition', tbh.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

bklynirene

Very well said and I too still have my good writing habits!  I loved English as a subject and everything it entailed.  I try to catch any mistakes when I comment on these forums and also whenever I e-mail or write a letter. 

My late best friend lived at Brooklyn, Bay Ridge section.  But that's another story!

Regular Contributor

I also try to use correct grammar, etc. However, with social media I often go for speed rather than perfection.

What REALLY annoys me is when people correct someone elses spelling and grammar on social media. I see it often on these boards. Grr.

Honored Contributor

It may not be your fault. My tablet changes words on it's own after I type them. Sometimes it adds a space where it doesn't belong. Recently, in a post it changed convenient  to convened and deleted an a.

Respected Contributor

@shoppingless wrote:

I also try to use correct grammar, etc. However, with social media I often go for speed rather than perfection.

What REALLY annoys me is when people correct someone elses spelling and grammar on social media. I see it often on these boards. Grr.

That doesn't bother me at all.  It may prevent someone else from looking not very smart in a future conversation. Maybe they aren't aware that the word they are using is a poor choice.  

Honored Contributor

Absolutely I do!

Respected Contributor

@SurferWife  I also edit often.

Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

You are not alone. I do it all of the time. I embarrass myself sometimes when I come back and reread what I have written.

@icezeus 

^^^This is me^^^

I grew up in a home with a father who expected proper grammar, punctuation, spelling and even good penmanship.

I know I make plenty of mistakes posting--often because I am multitasking. It's funny though. I often get a little niggling feeling to go back and re-read something I posted in haste to correct my errors. But still, I am truly embarrassed by my mistakes.

Now I will probably be called out for this (and truthfully I don't care because much arrogance has been permeating the board lately), but when I see some posts by former teachers that don't even make sense, along with many spelling errors, it makes me somewhat understand how so little is expected of today's youth.

Respected Contributor

@shoppingless  I was going to respond to the OP not to worry. Someone on these boards will most likely point out your mistake and let you know.

I was taught that one should never publicly correct another person's grammar or spelling. It is worse to do this than to make the error.