Respected Contributor

I have written two lengthy documents in my 70+ years.

The first one was as part of a personal career search process as I was about to leave a major corporation and trying to decide the best path for myself.  The directions were to write about any sense of achievement I enjoyed from my earliest remembrance.  Describe the situation and what was learned.  Well, it turned into a lengthy document divided into chapters dealing with personal, academic and professional situations.   My DH’s secretary typed it for me as it was before in-home computers.

My college has a copy as does a few close friends.

The second document was required for documenting how my life after college graduation exemplified the virtues on the college seal: faith / scientia / caritas.  

The college inducted me into their Life Honor Society.  They have the original with all the supporting documentation.  A few close friends also have a copy.

If someone needs to do my eulogy, that’s where to find out all that I was involved in during my many careers.

A very close friend who is a nun at my college, after reading the documents, told me two nouns describe who I am: Courage and Grace.  Nice epitaph !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My name is on very few things.....(my house and car).    Everything else anybody "thinks" is pure speculation.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Karie2022 ....I have the same thoughts, I threw away a diary.  I have one letter from my dad...I have no intention of throwing away just yet.....it's not overly personal, it just discusses a disagreemen we had...I love a few of the words in the letter and have thought about taking just those words that I truly love, and somehow mounting them and putting in a frame.

Honored Contributor

When you are dead you have no right to expect people to not read your stuff, sell your property, or do whatever they want with what is left over.  That is WAY too much to expect of your loved ones.  That's a terrible thing to burden survivors with.

If you have stuff you don't want people to read, get rid of it.  Give them the blessings to do whatever they want with what is left over and not have to parcel out this and that to others and have people mad at them.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine used to journal and thought it was cathartic to keep a journal, she talked me into starting a journal. I did journal for awhile and then put it away for a couple of years, I came across it and started reading, I burned it. I would not want my son or husband finding that personal journal and reading that self absorbed ******.

Honored Contributor

I would not want to leave anything behind that might hurt someone.  If it were inspirational or positive and might help someone along the way..... such as lessons learned in life that have helped me.....that would be ok.  At this point in my life I have no need to do that.  I do have a Bible with many of my favorite verses underlined.  They might want to keep that if they so choose.