Respected Contributor

Re: Printer Ink -- Is there a Cheaper Way?

I get mine from Sam's Club.

Respected Contributor

Sunala.....if you register on the Epson website they will send you periodic emails with special prices for ink. I get these all the time. The only reason I haven't gone that route yet is because I don't want to wait when I run out and printer ink is not something I stock up on although maybe I should.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 sunala said:

I have an Epson XP400 and I pay a king's ransom for Epson ink cartridges from Staples. Is there a cheaper way to go? Do any of you have experience with buying cut-rate ink like they advertise?

It seems like these Epson cartridges run out of ink every other week, and I don't think I use the printer all that much.

Does anybody have any tips on how to save ink?

I just hate spending so much money for INK!

Hey there sunny,

Does your printer use the old fashion 3 in 1 color cartridge? I quit using those over 10 years ago in favor of printers that use individual ink tanks. Right now my Canon printer is a 5 color photo printer and each color is in separate ink tanks. If 1 color runs out I only have to replace that color. With the old 3 in 1 cartridges if you run out of yellow you have to replace the whole danged thing and you still might have a lot of cyan and magenta left in the cartridge.

I have been buying generic ink tanks for year now and I have never had a problem with any of them. A few months ago I ordered 10 ink tanks, delivered for around $35. Now that is each color replaced twice for $35 bucks. Heck, one 3 color ink cartridge probably cost about that much, especially if you use "brand name" ink.

Here is what I suggest. Watch the other shopping channel and when you see a printer with "individual ink tanks", especially if it is made by Canon, buy it. I have seen them for $79 with free you know what too. With these you always get full ink tanks, so if you spend $50 for ink for your old dinosaur printer? This way you can have a brand spanking new printer, probably a 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 with a fax, doesn't mean you have to use these features.

Ditch the Epson if it is costing you an arm and a leg for ink.

Take care my friend,

E.T.A. I just did a google search for your model and I see it does use the 4 ink tank system. If you like the printer? Quit buying brand name ink and try generic brands. Look for a good deal and give it a try. What have you got to lose? So they void the warranty! I see printers nowadays as "throw away peripherals". With deals like you can find on Amazon on over on hsn for a new printer with full ink? Why fool around fixing one that goes kaput??

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Since we do not print photos our printer is a Brother laser that only prints black and white. In 5 years I think we have replaced the ink once. I have bursts of printing frenzies when I print a bunch of recipes or some genealogy reports, otherwise our printing is mainly copies of online orders and receipts. If I want a photo printed I go to the local photography shop with my flash drive loaded with photos.