Contributor

Advice, please re dog house for outside dog

Hello. I'm posting this question asking for your advice for a southern CA dog kept outside.

My sister's neighbors who live behind her have a German Shepherd. These neighbors aren't cruel, but are clueless where dogs are concerned. For the record, they're foreign and only the young child speaks English, making communication difficult.

The dog is left in the backyard 24/7 & not allowed in the house & their garage has been made into a living space so he can't go in there either. He does have a makeshift chain-link cage with a tarp covering it which can keep him dry when it rains, but it's not warm for when it gets cold.

This is where we'd like to ask for your advice.

The neighbors agreed to her request to get a doghouse for the dog, & she wants one that is insulated, not something made out of plywood or plastic.

So far the only one she's found is this one, but she can't find any reviews for it. Any thoughts?:

Insulated Dog House, Xtra Large

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Valued Contributor

Re: Advice, please re dog house for outside dog

I personally would call call animal control about the dogs living conditions. I don't believe in having one dog all alone outside 24/7. I believe this is very cruel. I am sure someone would snap up a German Shepherd and give him a loving home. I would try to help him out of this situation.
Contributor

Cardamom, neighbors have called, and animal control paid several visits. Neighbors were told that as long as there is food, water & shelter, no laws are being broken.

That's why she wants to buy a dog house for him, so he'll have a comfortable place, protected from the elements.

Valued Contributor

On 9/9/2014 Jingles5 said:

Cardamom, neighbors have called, and animal control paid several visits. Neighbors were told that as long as there is food, water & shelter, no laws are being broken.

That's why she wants to buy a dog house for him, so he'll have a comfortable place, protected from the elements.

Well, this is too bad. Smiley Sad. That's nice of her. Maybe she could get them to surrender the dog? Knowing me, I'd kidnap the dog. Lol. Why do people like this own animals?! Smiley Sad
Valued Contributor

"The dog is left in the backyard 24/7 & not allowed in the house & their garage has been made into a living space so he can't go in there either. He does have a makeshift chain-link cage with a tarp covering it which can keep him dry when it rains, but it's not warm for when it gets cold."

OP, hope you don't mind me copying and pasting this part of your original post. What concerns me is that the dog has no area to go when the cold weather is in season. Surely, I would think that some sort of agency in the area that protects animals would see that the poor thing has nothing to keep him/her warm.

I guess I agree with the poster, Cardamom. Why have a pet if you are going to make it live outside 24/7?

Contributor

HisElk, we agree w/ 'why bother to have a pet?' But like I said, animal control was called and paid several visits, and said that no laws are being broken. Yes, it's frustrating and sad, but that's the reason my sis would appreciate some reviews on the best insulated doghouse to purchase for him.

Thanks for the reply.

Valued Contributor

On 9/9/2014 Jingles5 said:

HisElk, we agree w/ 'why bother to have a pet?' But like I said, animal control was called and paid several visits, and said that no laws are being broken. Yes, it's frustrating and sad, but that's the reason my sis would appreciate some reviews on the best insulated doghouse to purchase for him.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi Jingles5, thanks for your reply. Frustrating is an understatement. Things work differently in our area (PA). If they came out to visit and saw nothing to keep the dog from getting cold, they would take it or be fined.

As far as dog houses, I hope she is able to find one that's insulated. I wish I could have helped more.

Honored Contributor

On 9/9/2014 HisElk said:

"The dog is left in the backyard 24/7 & not allowed in the house & their garage has been made into a living space so he can't go in there either. He does have a makeshift chain-link cage with a tarp covering it which can keep him dry when it rains, but it's not warm for when it gets cold."

OP, hope you don't mind me copying and pasting this part of your original post. What concerns me is that the dog has no area to go when the cold weather is in season. Surely, I would think that some sort of agency in the area that protects animals would see that the poor thing has nothing to keep him/her warm.

I guess I agree with the poster, Cardamom. Why have a pet if you are going to make it live outside 24/7?

ITA. It is just appalling. It should be illegal. But yes, WHY does anyone have a pet if it is kept outside?

OP I'm sorry, you're so nice to try to help your sister who is trying to get this poor dog shelter. Sorry I don't know anything about doghouses.

Honored Contributor

Sounds cruel to me! I agree with MJ - it SHOULD be illegal to treat animals like this. Smiley Sad

I wish something could be done, beyond putting a dog house out there (like finding another home for the dog). Could they be talked into re-homing the dog? THAT would be the best way to go.

New Contributor

Hi, my sister posted this question for me since I'm new to this. Yes the dog's owners are idi0ts but they are not going to give him up. They are of a culture that thinks dogs are just animals & are fine outside. They do care about him, they just don't think the way most of us here in America do about how to care for & treat our pets. The yard is a nice enclosed grassy yard--I would just feel so much better about him if he had decent shelter. I tried finding someone to build a doghouse for him but didn't have any luck with that. This Northland Climate Master doghouse looks pretty nice--it's the only insulated doghouse I have found online. I will get it for him unless anybody here can suggest something else (other than finding a new home for the dog which would be great, but isn't gonna happen unfortunately).

This is in southern CA & the coldest it really gets is 40's--but he needs something nice & protective.

Thanks for your replies!