Valued Contributor

Re: Prince tributes - my question is...

I was in London in 1989.  I saw a sign staing Prince concert tickets available for that nights' show.  I thought I would be fortunate enough for "nosebleed" seats.  Unclaimed tickets only.  I sat center 6th row.  Prince was magnificent, and Mavis Staples was with him.  I was mesmerized.  I a a BIG Clapton fan, but I will say Prince was the ultimate showman.  I realize now how important this memory has become.  RIP, and thank you for sharing your gift with the world.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I mean absolutely no disrespect at all but I was shocked that the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame lowered the flags to half staff on the announcement of his death.  It has been reported that they will remain lowered throughout the weekend.  They are playing Prince music throughout which I can understand but lowering the flags?  I think that is taking things a little too far. 

I agree with MaggieMack though.  I too felt much more connected to Prince's music than David Bowie.      

Flags were lowered at the Hall of Fame for David Bowie.  Just curious why you think it "is taking things a little too far" for a musical genius and icon like Prince?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never knew David Bowie had cancer either, until he passed.  Both he and Prince were a shock to me, both great artists and may they rest in peace, but so we're many other shocks in the world....JFK and his son, JFK, Jr., Elvis, Michael Jackson,  John Lennon, Princess Diana, Farrah Fawcett, Whitney Houston, Robin Williams, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and the list goes on and on, sadly!  I grew up with all of them, some touched me more than others!

Respected Contributor

It's all over kill.  Next week it will all be forgotten.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Frequent Contributor

I seen them both in concert and like the one poster said probably because bowie was from England. I imagine he had all the outpouring of love over there

Esteemed Contributor

Lowering flags  at the  R&R Hall of Fame would be the place to do it.

After watching these tributes he was extremely generous and kind with his time and money.  

He was a game changer.

Valued Contributor

Both men are rock icons and each made huge contributions to music.  Both were well loved by fans all over the world.  Both lived fairly private lives, at least as private as a rock star can.  I have definitely noticed more coverage of Prince's death than Bowie's.  I guess it doesn't matter at all, but I have my own opinion of why this might be.  No matter,  both men will be missed by millions.  I grieve for the music that won't be written because they are gone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I mean absolutely no disrespect at all but I was shocked that the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame lowered the flags to half staff on the announcement of his death.  It has been reported that they will remain lowered throughout the weekend.  They are playing Prince music throughout which I can understand but lowering the flags?  I think that is taking things a little too far. 

I agree with MaggieMack though.  I too felt much more connected to Prince's music than David Bowie.      

Flags were lowered at the Hall of Fame for David Bowie.  Just curious why you think it "is taking things a little too far" for a musical genius and icon like Prince?

Before I read this I edited my post above to say that the same thing was done for Bowie.

Yes Prince was a musical genius.  But IMO flags should be lowered for very specific events to honor those who are dignitaries, victims of mass crimes or other horrific events, fallens soldiers, etc. not on the death of a musical figure.

I understand it's not nationwide, but it doesn't make a difference to me.  I may be incorrect but I also thought unless ordered by the President, flags are not to be flown at half staff.       

It's not a big deal to me either way, just giving an opinion.  Smiley Happy   

Honored Contributor

I think it's a generational thing.   Only 12 years difference in age, yet I know much more of Prince than Bowie.  And Prince is my age, by the way.

Respected Contributor

I think many people in their mid 40's grew up listening to him and could relate to his songs. They were a bit of everything, pop, funk, rock and amazing guitar. 

I like David Bowie but he was a bit older than me. I'm a rock fan, if I wasn't, his music probably wouldn't appeal to me as much.