Honored Contributor

If someone is promoting something medical or financial, they should give a source. But if they're just commenting on news that is being reported everywhere, and not just from opinion outlets or tabloids, I don't think it matters much if a source isn't provided.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

Anybody hear ever hear about sealioning?  It's a form of internet trolling, where you shut down any conversations by asking for citations for each and every little thing.

It's named after a hilarious Wondermark comic, which I'll attach a link for, but you can get it just by googling sealioning comic.  http://wondermark.com/1k62/

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

Anybody hear ever hear about sealioning?  It's a form of internet trolling, where you shut down any conversations by asking for citations for each and every little thing.

It's named after a hilarious Wondermark comic, which I'll attach a link for, but you can get it just by googling sealioning comic.  http://wondermark.com/1k62/

It's also when the person asks countless questions and is never satisfied. Also when they beg you to explain what you mean and then pointedly remain confused and demand a better explanation that they can understand. They get you running around wasting time on them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

It's also when the person asks countless questions and is never satisfied. Also when they beg you to explain what you mean and then pointedly remain confused and demand a better explanation that they can understand. They get you running around wasting time on them.

Yes.  Exhaustion is the name of the game.  Tediously nitpicked to death.

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

Yes.  Exhaustion is the name of the game.  Tediously nitpicked to death.

@stuyvesant   @Porcelain 

I've seen likened to being nibbled on by ducks, and the need to have the last word.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

When it comes to Prince Charles, a public figure for goodness' sake, if somebody asks for a source for him having coronavirus, I would cheer somebody who said "google it."  That's what I did immediately when somebody here started the first thread about it.  It was interesting, he's another famous person with it.

Thanks for being brave enough to post that first thread, whoever you are!

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

When it comes to Prince Charles, a public figure for goodness' sake, if somebody asks for a source for him having coronavirus, I would cheer somebody who said "google it."  That's what I did immediately when somebody here started the first thread about it.  It was interesting, he's another famous person with it.

Thanks for being brave enough to post that first thread, whoever you are!

@stuyvesant, poster(s) were not asking for sources about Prince Charles: they were asking for a source that would substantiate a poster's comment that the Queen has the virus.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland