Respected Contributor

It's NOT gouging.  It's called "supply and demand".  No one is forcing anyone to pay the price.  If enough people don't, the prices will come down.  Works every time.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Don't make me put my home on AirBnB for the day.  At those prices, I just might plus rent out the front and back lawns.  Extra surcharge if you want to climb my tree for a better look and total premium for roof top.  

@Laura14  Hmmmm...considering the idea...dahblink.gif

We are here in eastern NE and only have to set up lawn chairs since we are in the direct path. It certainly would help pay for the QVC CIJ purchases I made this month...LOL

@Susan Louise  More incentive!  It's like a yard sale for the UPS man courtesy of Mother Nature.  

I think my prices just went up.  Baby needs some new shoes, a handbag, and lots more she'll pick up later.  Need to find something with a full moon print and some stars....  Smiley Wink 

@Laura14   ooonooo.gif ...........as the saying goes...the sky is the limit!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Price gouging - eclipse

[ Edited ]

@Cats3000 wrote:

It's NOT gouging.  It's called "supply and demand".  No one is forcing anyone to pay the price.  If enough people don't, the prices will come down.  Works every time.

@Cats3000  Not quite.  "Gouging" is actually against the law in some juridictions in the United States, usually during emergencies and for such items, including housing, as food, clothing, medicine, etc.

Enough people cannot afford to not buy necessities in those situations-hence, the prices remain high.  The same applied to before, during, and after an emergency.

This eclipse is a situation of apples to oranges.

"Gouging" is also not a term generally used in major economics.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'm surprised that there would be any rooms available in the prime viewing areas at this time. In Jackson Hole, everything sold out a year in advance.  

Valued Contributor

A relative of mine in Oregon is having a viewing party.

There are motels in central Oregon, where there is less chance of overcast skies, that have been sold out for 5 years!

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Respected Contributor

Cakers:  When we lived in FL, there were "price gouging" laws in effect to put a lid on prices during hurricanes and other emergencies.

While I understand "emergency situations", I am opposed to price controls because it inserts government between the business and the consumer.  Government has never been a particularly good "businessman" on it's own.  Why would we want it to control businesses?

Valued Contributor

@madzonie wrote:

We originally had plans here at home in AZ at the time of the solar eclipse (Aug.21), but they suddenly changed.  

Since hubby & I are celebrating our 40th anniversary on Aug. 20  I got this crazy idea of looking into making a quick trip to an "ideal" location to see the eclipse.

I decided to look around the area from Idaho Falls ID to the West Yellowstone area.  I knew the chance of finding something might be iffy.  Many places are completely booked, but I was shocked to find those hotels with vacancies were charging from $600-700 PER NIGHT!  These are rooms that usually go for around $150/night.

I guess that's the American way - gouge gouge gouge.  We've decided to do something else for our anniversary. Woman Sad

@madzonie Happy (early) Anniversary! Our 50th is on 8/19th..we will be in Williamsburg, Va, have to see if we will see any of the eclipse! Have fun, whatever you decide to do!

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Cakers:  When we lived in FL, there were "price gouging" laws in effect to put a lid on prices during hurricanes and other emergencies.

While I understand "emergency situations", I am opposed to price controls because it inserts government between the business and the consumer.  Government has never been a particularly good "businessman" on it's own.  Why would we want it to control businesses?

@Cats3000  Because not everyone in emergency situations can afford the jacked up prices.  I'm not a big fan of anything gov't either but the price lids can and do protect those in less financial status.

I don't have a problem with these hotels; the customers have the choice to use them or not.  I'm sure the people using them are not only rich.

However, when there is no food, water, decent shelter, etc. then there has to be some protection for the least fortunate.  Those people have no choice.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'm in Ohio and our news just did a story about the how much prices have gone up at the hotels in these areas. 

It's really no different than how the price of hotels increased in my area when Cleveland hosted the RNC or how the price goes up during prime vacation season in many areas or they raise in Nashville during the week of the CMA's or country music fest, etc.