Honored Contributor

Prayers for all those in Ida's path...

[ Edited ]

When I was still living in my homestate of Connecticut...along the shoreline/LI Sound for 40 years before moving to Nebraska when I got married, I lived through hurricane Gloria in 1986.

I can't imagine what folks are going to have to deal with on top of the ongoing COVID issues.

holy-cow-smiley.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Prayers for all those in Ida's path...

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise ...Your thread reminded me of how when in the summers at the beach on Long Island we could see the shoreline of Connecticut.  Our family had a summerhouse on Long Island, about 10 miles before Riverhead, near Calverton.  We spent our summers there from the time I was six years old until I was married with children.  

The Long Island Sound was our place to swim and frolic.  The best part of the water was that it was calm and we didn't have to fight waves, I loved it

You mentioned something about Ida's path, is there a hurricane warning for Connecticut?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Susan Louise ...Your thread reminded me of how when in the summers at the beach on Long Island we could see the shoreline of Connecticut.  Our family had a summerhouse on Long Island, about 10 miles before Riverhead, near Calverton.  We spent our summers there from the time I was six years old until I was married with children.  

The Long Island Sound was our place to swim and frolic.  The best part of the water was that it was calm and we didn't have to fight waves, I loved it

You mentioned something about Ida's path, is there a hurricane waring for Connecticut?

@Lindsays Grandma  I mentioned Connecticut because I know what it is like to live through a hurricane...but not having to deal with/worry about a deadly virus at the same time.

You can see the path of Ida by going to the weather channel online or on tv...rough area for landfall now will be Louisiana.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan Louise Thank you so much for your prayers.  It seems as though the end of August (especially August 29th) and the beginning of September, for the past few years has been the peak of hurricane season for the state of Louisiana.  Last year at this time, we have had 2 hurricanes that made landfall back to back--only days apart.  We have 3 more months of this. Ida  should make landfall either late Sunday or Monday.  

Esteemed Contributor

National Hurricane Center

Here are the 5 AM EDT August 27th Key Messages for Tropical Storm Ida. Significant intensification to a Major Hurrican is now forecast in the Gulf of Mexico. Hurricane & Storm Surge Watches are in effect for parts of the LA, MS, and AL coast.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

You mentioned something about Ida's path, is there a hurricane waring for Connecticut?

@Lindsays Grandma  I mentioned Connecticut because I know what it is like to live through a hurricane...but not having to deal with/worry about a deadly virus at the same time.

You can see the path of Ida by going to the weather channel online or on tv...rough area for landfall now will be Louisiana.

The original post is very confusing, it makes sound like the east coast in the path.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a shoreline town of CT....I too thought you meant we're in the path of yet another hurricane coming?? We were lucky with Henri...we didn't get the worst of it at all, thankfully! We even retained power...always a concern. 

But I haven't read this whole thread, maybe not. Maybe you were just talking about Gloria and relating. I too remember Gloria...many moons ago.

I hadn't even heard about Ida yet...prayers to all in its path. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

All of us here on the East Coast are wary of hurricanes.  We bit the bullet last week with Henri, although some areas got quite a bit of flooding.  It's always scary for those down in Florida,  those along the Gulf coast and those others near the Carolinas.  However, we here on LI and other NE states have dealt with plenty of bad storms through the years.  I also lived through Gloria and had no electricity for THREE weeks. 

Living on LI like any other place has its pros and cons.  I love being surrrounded by water, but that same water can be a challenge at times, especially during bad storms.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From today 8/27/21    Ida is expected to become a hurricane on Saturday afternoon, and will then quickly increase into a Category 3 storm making landfall in southeast Louisiana Sunday afternoon.

Hurricane Tracker Rob 2017 Number 31.png

Honored Contributor

praying for those in the path
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”