Honored Contributor

Re: Posters Will Try Anything

@makena wrote:

People are slick thinking they can post links on a side wall.  I've seen several attempts at this.  Give the mods more credit than that.

After all this time I still can't get over how some people just flat out simply refuse to follow the rules.  It's fairly easy to me -- join the community based on the guidelines clearly stated.  Act like an adult.

@makena

You broke the rules with that comment.  It could be seen as either unkind or baiting.

My point is that probably most people break rules at times, whether they are aware of it or not.

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

People are slick thinking they can post links on a side wall.  I've seen several attempts at this.  Give the mods more credit than that.

After all this time I still can't get over how some people just flat out simply refuse to follow the rules.  It's fairly easy to me -- join the community based on the guidelines clearly stated.  Act like an adult.

@makena: To be perfectly honest, l never pay attention to the the links on the side wall of an article. I was interested in the story, and thought it would be informative and helpful for others to read. I posted it at its face value. 

If anyone noticed the side wall links, which l REPEAT, l did not-- and were offended by them-- that was not my intention. So don't accuse me of trying to sneak anything past the mods.

FYI, l re-posted the article in its entirety, instead of the link to it.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are side walls a permanent part of an article?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Montana wrote:

Are side walls a permanent part of an article?

They can change. They're fluid. 

But, the original site in question in this specific thread has a certain, unwavering bent that lends itself to prohibited links.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@makena, could you explain what that means please? Side wall?

@makena  A side wall is on a tire.....right?

Honored Contributor

I make it a point to never click on a posted link.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 I really don't think that's unkind and I certainly wasn't baiting. 

Honored Contributor

IMO, all posters - whatever their age and/or internet savvy (in other words, "no excuses" once it's been explained as @Alice-QVC has, and thank you for informing those who didn't know) need to be aware of how the internet - including spam, malware, side bars/walls, embedding, etc - works. "I didn't know" and "I didn't do it on purpose" aren't going to mean people can keep on doing it because in their sweet innocence they didn't know, so it's all okay.

In their lack of knowledge they can even feel "I don't believe that", "QVC is being paranoid" etc and figuring they can keep doing it because their heart is pure and who cares, how would they know, how silly, they can't be bothered, etc.

All of us are responsible for navigating the online world and knowing what goes on there without assuming it doesn't. I'm not speaking about any specific poster or link or thread. I wasn't even here yesterday. But I've seen the excuses above all over the forums, and after being told why, people are still whingeing about it. Stop whingeing. It is what it is, and it's to keep the forums from exposing the clueless (who would also whinge about being exposed)  to malware and inappropriate content). It's to save the ignorant from malignant clickbait, frankly, because someone, at some time, would clutch their pearls, have the vapors, and go on and on about it.

QVC is trying to keep their forums safe from malware, spam and content that most customers wouldn't want to see, and that includes many links.

I do not, however, at this time see anyone posting such links deliberately to further an agenda. Nope. It's just wilful ignorance - increasingly wilful I must say. Not that I'm surprised by that, lol.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

Very little acting like a mature adult goes on this board.

Honored Contributor

Ok sounds like a slap-fast is starting so everyone have a great 4th and have a cupcake!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh