Occasional Contributor

Re: Post Op Knee replacement complication question

I wouldn't waste any time getting a second opinion.  What you're experiencing sounds highly irregular.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

INSIST that this wound be cultured!   If the wound appearance and drainage responded to oral antibiotic treatment, it sounds like this is an infection.   Staph, MRSA, C-diff?   A culture will determine what this is.   I don’t like this doctors approach!

Esteemed Contributor

I have had both knee replacements and each time my doctor explicitly said what to report and what would be done with if problems arose. Blood test AND culture of fluid are standard operating procedures with him.

The only minor complication(s) I had were some minor, clear drainage that he checked and at 3 months after surgery, I fell out of an office chair straight on the knee. Hurt like heck at the moment but all was solid.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to keep a sterile dressing over the area and follow up with the MD next week. I will send him a picture of the area and see what he says.  I actually found antibacterial non stick pads that says it kills bacteria like Staph and MRSA (didn't know they existed) and they are absorbant, won't stick to the wound. I will certainly pursue a wound culture if this does not completely clear up soon.

Contributor

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your knee.  Perhaps you should consider making an appointment with an Infectous Disease doctor and he may want to swab it for a culture.  He will also know if you should be on antibiotics and the right brand to start you off with.  

Wishing you all the best....

Honored Contributor

Antibiotic ointments generate heat on a wound if covered with a bandaid or plastic coated bandage, and create more problems.   Covering with a 4x4 gauze pad or rolled gauze with paper tape, is a better option.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe cellulitis  or fragment in there.  , be persistent.  If he can't  figure it out, refer to someone who has a fresh eye.  Sounds like there is a little part inside that can't clear up.  He could have a splinter in there...of bone, metal, etc  ...a fragment that keeps flaring up. 

years ago my husband was in an accident.  One of the recurring problems he had was a little infection, and slight drainage in a spot between the knee and ankle.  He had had an abrasion during the accident. It was scrubbed and cleaned.  It would be fine, scab over go away then drain, a little thick white pus, not a lot, but a little.  He also has slight pain, not like huge just a little, it was a little sore.   He did round of antibiotics , then it would be ok.  Long story short.  It was on and off for 6 months.  They couldn't be sure, xrays..negative, staph, negative  Doctor decdeid to have my husband go into surgery to clean it out.  They found teeny weeny microscopic bone fragment.  The body wanted to get it out, so pus formed around it.  Not one X-ray showed the fragment  this is before MRI or fancy xrays.  

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  wrote:

Maybe cellulitis  or fragment in there.  , be persistent.  If he can't  figure it out, refer to someone who has a fresh eye.  Sounds like there is a little part inside that can't clear up.  He could have a splinter in there...of bone, metal, etc  ...a fragment that keeps flaring up. 

years ago my husband was in an accident.  One of the recurring problems he had was a little infection, and slight drainage in a spot between the knee and ankle.  He had had an abrasion during the accident. It was scrubbed and cleaned.  It would be fine, scab over go away then drain, a little thick white pus, not a lot, but a little.  He also has slight pain, not like huge just a little, it was a little sore.   He did round of antibiotics , then it would be ok.  Long story short.  It was on and off for 6 months.  They couldn't be sure, xrays..negative, staph, negative  Doctor decdeid to have my husband go into surgery to clean it out.  They found teeny weeny microscopic bone fragment.  The body wanted to get it out, so pus formed around it.  Not one X-ray showed the fragment  this is before MRI or fancy xrays.  

Sounds a bit like what I am dealing with, clear yellowish drainage and thick white pus. Not rying to gross anyone out, but the symptoms are similar. Thanks for your information