Honored Contributor

Re: Post Office Wants To Raise Postage Again

As my dad used to say..."Try mailing it yourself for that price". 

Honored Contributor

@Lynnster67 wrote:

Congress (esp those representing rural areas) is NOT in favor of eliminating Saturday delivery.

@Lynnster67

I remember when retail stores were open 5 days a week, a few 6. They were not open 15-20, much less, 24 hours per day. Somehow even working people, like my mother raising us 4 kids all alone, managed to work 5 days(2 till 8pm) per week, and we made it.

Don't remember mail that far back, but more than likely it was not 7 days a week. Compare that to now, be it private businesses open most of the 24 hours, even on Holidays. Why?

I can see having maybe a 5% skeleton mail crew working on paid for "special delivery mail". I have to believe most in the United States do not have lives dependent on USPS Saturday delivery. If they do? Everyone can decide that for themselves.

Why a HUGE Federal Agency can't figure out how this works tells me a lot about their "higher ups" capacity to understand running a business that always needs more money, especially when revenues are on the upside.

Reminds me of our School Administration. No accountability for what they spend. When they run out of money, to them it is a simple solution. Raise ole John's Property Tax. Moved here when 70% of my house taxes went to them. This year, 2017, it will be 87%, but why would they care? The "higher ups" spending all the money can throw out any old reason, and then not account for how it is spent.

I don't have any certificates stating my high education. What I do have is real life experiences of budgeting my money "in/out" when my age was still in the single digits. My favorite "Educated Beyond Their Intelligence" says it all when a majority believe "Higher Learning" is the only answer. That would not include me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Postage is a bargain.

Respected Contributor

I remember as a very young child when we received mail twice a day...most of the first class mail was in the morning. I don't remember if it was just third class mail in the afternoon or all types of mail. I just remember running out to meet the mailman twice a day. First class mail was 3 cents a letter back then. Wow...makes me feel old!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

I wonder if Congress will approve their request.  In recent years, they were often denied as Congress forced them to deal with excessive costs.  I think the approach has been successful in part, though I'm sure there's more they can do - for example, deal with retiree health care costs.  How many private sector enterprises still offer that?

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

I remember as a very young child when we received mail twice a day...most of the first class mail was in the morning. I don't remember if it was just third class mail in the afternoon or all types of mail. I just remember running out to meet the mailman twice a day. First class mail was 3 cents a letter back then. Wow...makes me feel old!

@Yardlie  I remember getting mail twice a day also.  

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

Postage is a bargain.

And 5 day work weeks are pretty much still considered the standard work week. Won't​ even have to go into email/texting, or video chatting. 

I have never taken the time to price what sending an email costs me, but I am pretty sure it won't come out to the bargain you mention about postage. And it gets there, not in days, but sometimes in seconds. Then there is the paper/envelope and must use some writing utensil, all of which usually add more cost.

I would do fine without mail delivery on Saturday/Friday/Thursday and, ya know.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I vote to let the USPS go out of business. 

Respected Contributor

Free postage for Congress should be eliminated.

Super Contributor

It should have been left where it was before they lowered it.  

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥