Respected Contributor

Re: Poor at 20, poor for life

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

One thing I know for sure is that nurses do not go back to school totally on the hospital's dime.   Most hospitals do have tuition reimbursement, but as i stated previously they have slashed those funds considerably.  In this area, tuition reimbursement from the largest hospitals does not cover 25% of the tuition for courses required for any RN-BSN program.

Requiring BSN as minimum educational preparation will vary by geographic region.  Typically in the south, we don't do as well with that.  But even in the south, hospitals are encouraging their nurses to return to school to keep their positions.  That creates a double edged sword.  Hospitals don't pay that much in tuition reimbursement and tuition is expensive.

I don't know where you live but UPMC not only offers tuition assistance to the employee but also their spouse and their children. And don't even tell me that is old information as one of my closest friends oldest daughter graduated last year from Pitt on that assistance and her younger daughter is currently a sophmore.Actually, here in Pittsburgh they have the Pittsburgh Promise where UPMC picks up tuition for any kid from the Pittsburgh Public Schools who has  straight B grades or better if they go to Pitt. google it .

Pittsburgh Promise has scaled back on what they give, It doesn't cover full tuiton And all the money doesn't come from UPMC

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Life is hard.  That's why they call it life, LOL!  Things have changed since the mid '90's.  I think because of the tech boom, internet and computer take over, many jobs are just gone.  Many jobs are obsolete.  That is a  good hunk of unemployment, IMO.  Computers have taken over many jobs formally by humans. Education in a field is .imperative  That includes trade schools, college, online courses, and the likes.  Unless you are lucky enough to inherit a family business, or be offered a trade upon graduation from high school, it is hard without this

Gone are the days where you worked your way up.  Where from high school, or from the service you were offered a job.and worked your way up the ladder to a high paying job.  My husband is 69, and this was the luck and opportunity he had. They not only provided continuing education, they paid for it.  They mentored a good employee, they encouraged you. By the time he was 40, he had a job only offered to MIT grads.  Now, you not only have to have a degree, but they choose from the best colleges. They don't want to train you, but you can self educate yourself.  They want to hire from the top, and the best with little investment.

Trade schools are a very good option for most.  There are many groups in America who have the odds against them to even go to school.  They have parents who are unable to encourage or provide an education.  They have all odds against them.  Some make it, through struggle, perseverance and LUCK.  It can be done, but for some Americans it is a choice that isn't in their favor.  JMHO

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in a dying factory town (which I love to this day, though it is even more troubled now with addiction to opioids). Education and nothing else was my salvation.  And I discovered this through my love of visual art and creative writing.  I have never been out of work though there have been times I was underpaid for what I did.

I don't like this anti-humanities bias on many of these posts.  I am in the arts and humanities and as a single woman (which is huge, as we pay more taxes than married people) I have had a good income and at 67, if I can stand it to retire (because, unlike many, I love my job to this day) I will have enough to live on.

Mainly, I have had the life I wanted, and it has been good to me. 

The odds were totally against this, but I persevered and that's how I feel about it now. It's not as if I have never suffered, but those difficulties were nothing to what I would have suffered if I hadn't had an opportunity to go to college and just study and think for a while.

Higher education, debt and all, was a ticket away from unhappiness for me.

My mother was a nurse--she hated the work.  She saw to it that I was encouraged to try for what she might have liked better.  So did my dad. It was one of few things they agreed upon and I bless them both for it to this day.

Respected Contributor

My recent response to this post was never posted--I don't know why.  I did try to post it several times.  Life is too short to have a fight about a non-posted post, but something is wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

One thing I know for sure is that nurses do not go back to school totally on the hospital's dime.   Most hospitals do have tuition reimbursement, but as i stated previously they have slashed those funds considerably.  In this area, tuition reimbursement from the largest hospitals does not cover 25% of the tuition for courses required for any RN-BSN program.

Requiring BSN as minimum educational preparation will vary by geographic region.  Typically in the south, we don't do as well with that.  But even in the south, hospitals are encouraging their nurses to return to school to keep their positions.  That creates a double edged sword.  Hospitals don't pay that much in tuition reimbursement and tuition is expensive.

I don't know where you live but UPMC not only offers tuition assistance to the employee but also their spouse and their children. And don't even tell me that is old information as one of my closest friends oldest daughter graduated last year from Pitt on that assistance and her younger daughter is currently a sophmore.Actually, here in Pittsburgh they have the Pittsburgh Promise where UPMC picks up tuition for any kid from the Pittsburgh Public Schools who has  straight B grades or better if they go to Pitt. google it .

Pittsburgh Promise has scaled back on what they give, It doesn't cover full tuiton And all the money doesn't come from UPMC

A $30,000 COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP IS ALREADY YOURS!

The Pittsburgh Promise scholarship is a big idea and a real commitment: if you live in the city and attend Pittsburgh Public schools from 9th grade on, a Promise scholarship will be waiting for you at graduation. The Promise is not like most scholarships. You don't have to be a straight-A student or a star athlete to be eligible for The Pittsburgh Promise. The Promise scholarship is not need-based. Your family’s income does not factor into the decision. It is not a competitive process. If you meet the requirements, you receive the scholarship. Neither is it a limited process, as you and all of your siblings can receive it. If you can dream of a promising future and are willing to work hard to get there, the scholarship will be waiting for you.

To receive the scholarship, The Promise requires that you:
  • Live in the City of Pittsburgh, continuously, without interruption, for at least the
    four years of high school.
  • Attend Pittsburgh Public Schools, continuously, without interruption, from at least the beginning of 9th grade, and through to graduation.
  • Graduate with a cumulative, un-weighted GPA of 2.5 or better.
  • Maintain an attendance record of 90%.
  • Use your scholarship at an accredited college, university, or trade and technical school in Pennsylvania.
  • File the FAFSA (FAFSA.gov) and state grant form (PHEAA.org) by April
*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

right. I'm not saying it's a bad program. I was disagreeing that UPMC pays for full tuiton thru the Promise. Starting this school year,  If you enter the city school from 9th grade on, you are eligible for 50% of the max scholarship which is $7500. If you start school from kindergarten and stay in the city until college, you get 100% of the 7,500.

My daughter attended school with several friends who received $2000 a year from Pittsburgh Promise, they weren't eligible for more because they had other aid.

And people keep mentioning trade schools, I looked at the schools locally, some are just as much as a university.

Esteemed Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

right. I'm not saying it's a bad program. I was disagreeing that UPMC pays for full tuiton thru the Promise. Starting this school year,  If you enter the city school from 9th grade on, you are eligible for 50% of the max scholarship which is $7500. If you start school from kindergarten and stay in the city until college, you get 100% of the 7,500.

My daughter attended school with several friends who received $2000 a year from Pittsburgh Promise, they weren't eligible for more because they had other aid.

And people keep mentioning trade schools, I looked at the schools locally, some are just as much as a university.

Many trade schools are more than University.  It's sometimes harder to get Financial Aid with some of them because they lose their accreditation (at least where I live).  Several have gone out of business.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Today, it's all about getting a good education and going into a field that pays well and has growth potential.  Starting in an entry level job and working your way up is risky. It's not something anyone should count on today.  Just as smart people manage their money. they should manage their careers.  It's a whole different world now.