Esteemed Contributor

How I Stopped Unwanted Phone Calls

My landline phone is a Panasonic model Kx-TGF353 (one corded and three handheld phones). One of my favorite features is the way "silent mode" works.

I have mine set for 24 hours of silence so the phone does not ring at all UNLESS the caller is listed in at least one of the groups I have allowed to ring through.

For example, among my groups I have a family group, urgent group and business group. I have allowed the numbers in all of those groups to ring through even when in "silent mode" so when the phone rings I know it is a caller I recognize. You can easily change the setting to allow or disallow a group to ring through at any time.  Also, different ringtones can be assigned to each group so you can readily distinguish who may be calling.

Another great feature of this model is "call block". Callers can be blocked when the phone is ringing or from the caller ID list. This phone has a setting that will allow a single ring when a call from a blocked number comes in OR you have the option of setting it so it does not ring at all.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: How I Stopped Unwanted Phone Calls

That sounds great.  I have a Panasonic with just the call blocking.  It does a good job until I've reached the limit of numbers blocked.  Thanks for the tip.

Esteemed Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

That sounds great.  I have a Panasonic with just the call blocking.  It does a good job until I've reached the limit of numbers blocked.  Thanks for the tip.

That is how I ended up with this particular model.  It blocks 250 numbers compared to the 30 something my older Panasonic model blocked. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I have a Vtech and it does the same thing.  I don't use the feature though.  I have a nonpublished phone number and it's rare I get an unsolicited phone call.

Trusted Contributor

We bought the Panasonic KX-TGF 344 system last month. Best $100.00 we ever spent!

Honored Contributor

How I stopped unwanted phone calls=Dumped my landline phone and use my cell phone for everything. Best thing I EVER did. Everyone else gets unwanted calls but me. I haven't received an unwanted phone call for the 5 years. Happy dance! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

How I stopped unwanted phone calls=Dumped my landline phone and use my cell phone for everything. Best thing I EVER did. Everyone else gets unwanted calls but me. I haven't received an unwanted phone call for the 5 years. Happy dance! Woman Happy

@ID2

You're lucky because we get them on our cell phones too.  These criminals run numbers to see what works so it can be a cell or landline.  I had a weird experience when I bought my new car. The dealer was adding my cell phone number to the car and an unknown caller came through.  It made me think people are sitting nearby trying to pick up signals.  It was very strange.  I don't think there's really any escape from these people.  

@Marp - it's sounds like you got a great phone.  I bought a Digitone call blocker several months ago that works the same way but it's not part of the phone.  Mine also blocks 250 numbers but I'm concerned that's not enough.  I hope newer models will add more.  I've had mine 5 months and I've already blocked 70 numbers. Ahh, the sound of silence.  

New Contributor

Thank you for the VALUEABLE information. I am considering buying the Panasonic like yours. The unwanted phone calls are such a nuisance.

Honored Contributor

I stopped all of my unwanted calls by purchasing the Callblocker by Digitone.

It has many ways to stop unwanted calls (by area codes, etc.) and stores up to 2,000 phone #'s.

Best $100 I've ever spent and at first it took me a while to adjust to how little my phone rings, but at least when it rings now, I know it's a call I want!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Good Afternoon, Bakersfield Police Department, generally works for me.................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo