Honored Contributor

Re: How I Stopped Unwanted Phone Calls

Oh wow, I like the sound of that.   My Panasonic system doesn't have that silent mode, AFAIK anyway.  I should check.  It's several years old, however, so it probably doesn't.

A few weeks ago I just turned mine off because the robocalls started coming between 9 and 10pm.  That's WAY beyond the pale, IMO.

I was really disappointed, when I was able to sign up for nomorobo as it still lets the calls through.  Sure, it only rings a couple of times but that is enough to be problematic.

I'd be totally willing to get a newer system where I can use the silent mode so that ONLY calls from the list of numbers i have on the phone will get through at all. 

For me, it's only worth the blocking if the phone doesn't ring AT ALL and the calls are stopped before they get through.   I also have the blocking capability on the phones but it's the old '30 number limit' deal.  Every now and then I have to empty it out of the older ones.  That's not very productive.

Honored Contributor

I've had the same land line phone number for 38 years.  I have some of those features on my phone but those robo callers are pretty smart they use different numbers.

Sometimes it even says "private caller".  I have complained to my Congressman and he says, "I'm on it".  Sure he is.

My phone announces who's calling on the first ring.  They're pretty smart because you can't say, "Don't call again" because it's a recording.

It has gotten a lot better since Christmas.  

Honored Contributor

Bummer - it looks like you have to have the corded main set with the answering machine.

Oh well.  If they come up with an all cordless model, no answering machine, and it does all of those things that would be great!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt,  Amazon has many cordless versions of that phone, kx-tge273, 274, 275---the final # tells you how many handsets are in the unit.  We ordered a re-furnished one last March (slightly different model, the keys aren't as large, so I need my glasses).

Oops's!  Just realized you specified no answering machine. Amazon's sellers probably have that covered, too.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

That sounds great.  I have a Panasonic with just the call blocking.  It does a good job until I've reached the limit of numbers blocked.  Thanks for the tip.

I have the Panasonic too. Just delete the older numbers I think they are unused now anyway 

Honored Contributor

We use Nomorobo.  If it's a robotic call, the phone rings once and then cuts the caller off. 

Using just your cell phone isn't going to stop the problem.  The more you give out your cell number for everything, the more you up your chances of ending up with these annoying calls.  I am also getting them on my cell phone.

My DH and I just called to drop our home phone the other day.  Because we have our phone, internet and cable all bundled together, the price actually went UP if we dropped our phone.    

Respected Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

Good Afternoon, Bakersfield Police Department, generally works for me.................................raven

Lol! 

Unfortunately that only makes it worse 

because if we answer they mark the number as

a good number and make more calls to it

from other scam artists 

and they're not afraid of our police or

authorities since most of the scam artists

are in other countries.

☹️

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

Mape,  I have the Panasonic 380 model.  I got it because it had the capacity to block 250 calls.  I absolutely love it!  It is nice to out-smart the telemarketers who don't care that you are on the "Do not call" list.

Valued Contributor

@SydneyH

This thread may be of help.

Honored Contributor

Any calls we get shows on our t.v. screens as long as we aren't watching a movie (DVD) or on NetFlix, yet our phone still shows who is calling. But if someone really misses our answering, they can leavve a message.  We don't get a lot anyway.