Respected Contributor

Re: Poor at 20, poor for life

@151949 wrote:

UPMC - a uniiversity medical center which is very highly rated  - right this instant has 11 jobs listed for RNs that do not require a BSN - the BSN only jobs are listed separately as such. 

I would like to see what those jobs exactly are and how much they are paying.

Is it college debt you have a problem with or actually getting a degree in a chosen field?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will not affirm the OP's statement.  Here's why:

My SIL did not have success in college.  He struggled with his courses, had to take one course twice and ultimately had to drop out b/c his GPA was low.  He refocused and realized he likes to work with his hands.  He registered for a plumber's apprentice program.  They started him out at $14.78/hr (which was more than his pt job at Lowes paid).  He was thrilled.  He is now 2 years away from earning his classification as a Master Plumber and they make a lot of money.  He works hard - sometimes long and odd hours, but he loves it.

My point being - he considers himself successful b/c he loves what he does.  He still looks forward to going to work every day.  I know a few people who can't claim as much.  The bonus is good pay, steady work and providing service.  Blue collar? Yes.  But you won't see a happier and more dedicated plumber around!  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

UPMC - a uniiversity medical center which is very highly rated  - right this instant has 11 jobs listed for RNs that do not require a BSN - the BSN only jobs are listed separately as such. 

I would like to see what those jobs exactly are and how much they are paying.

Is it college debt you have a problem with or actually getting a degree in a chosen field?

It's obvious she is resentful of anyone who has parents to cover their child's education and have very little debt upon graduation. 

Bless that child who's parents were able to do that for them. Not all can but it doesn't make them wrong.

Respected Contributor

She's resentful of anybody who achieves or is successful. 

I don't get it...

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Since University of Penn is a Magnet Status hospital, if they are hiring RNs without a BSN, they will require that nurse to complete the BSN within so many years of being hired.   In our area, they allow 3 years to complete the BSN or lose their job.  All new hires that don't have a BSN must sign a legal statement acknowleding they have that timeframe to obtain a BSN or lose their job.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Since University of Penn is a Magnet Status hospital, if they are hiring RNs without a BSN, they will require that nurse to complete the BSN within so many years of being hired.   In our area, they allow 3 years to complete the BSN or lose their job.  All new hires that don't have a BSN must sign a legal statement acknowleding they have that timeframe to obtain a BSN or lose their job.

I'll thank you for HH because I know she won't do it. 

It's important to make that sort of distinction.

Respected Contributor

Ok, back on topic....lol

I don't believe if you are poor at 20 one will always be poor.  And I don't believe everyone is cut out for college either.   There are several areas in the service industry in which people can make a stable living.  However, even some of those areas are changing.  We have a friend that runs an auto repair shop that didn't go to college either.  Not too long ago he was talking about the buzz in the industry to require an associate degree in mechanics.  The reason is that so many components of vehicles these days are computer related and mechanics need training in computers and problem solving computer related difficulties when something goes wrong with the vehicle.  So he was speculating that some type of college degree might be necessary several years on down the road in order to be an auto mechanic.   I don't know a thing about that area....just know that is what he was talking about at the time.

I do know that jobs, careers, and professions do change over time.  And for those that are in the job market, it helps to know what the trends in your are might be or where they are headed.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I earned good money in my 20's.

I was able to stand on my feet all day doing makeup for department stores and some tv makeup.

My hands were steady.

Now my legs hurt easily and my handy are shaky. Smiley Sad

I am getting in better shape but I don't know if I can do that again.

Honored Contributor

Probably a lot of us put ourselves through college decades ago.

I don't know how anyone does it nowadays, not without those crushing loans. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

HH was referring to UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center)

It isn't U of Penn affilaited...that I know of.