Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Poor at 20, poor for life

@Mothertrucker wrote:

Heck, just cause many of us struggled to get started in our 20's, doesn't mean EVERYONE does..I know..I watch HGTV...where hoards of 20 somethings are buying million dollar homes...equipped with the latest and finest kitchens..and they don't even COOK!!!! LOL!

@Mothertrucker

They're probably in the tech business, we're swimming in them here, lol.

Seriously, they have their own private buses to pick them up around town and take them to Google offices, then home again.  And we are talking LUXURY buses!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Per the US census bureau - those with a PHd in the USA have an average income of $84,400 and MSN $72,824. ( And just consider the debt that comes with those degrees. )

In 2014 the average household income was $54,000.

Not here it isn't.  BTW, my daughter makes so much more than that and she's just getting started.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Per the US census bureau - those with a PHd in the USA have an average income of $84,400 and MSN $72,824. ( And just consider the debt that comes with those degrees. )

In 2014 the average household income was $54,000.

And again - why do you assume that everyone who has advanced degrees has debt? 

Honored Contributor

UPMC - a uniiversity medical center which is very highly rated  - right this instant has 11 jobs listed for RNs that do not require a BSN - the BSN only jobs are listed separately as such. 

Honored Contributor

@151949

I posted the pay scale yesterday for SF police.  Starting pay is about $84,000 and after seven years it's about $113,400 a year.

It's also common to double the pay or triple in some cases, what with overtime and special events.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

UPMC - a uniiversity medical center which is very highly rated  - right this instant has 11 jobs listed for RNs that do not require a BSN - the BSN only jobs are listed separately as such. 

@151949

You can bet those no BSN nurses are not making the same money, nor are they doing work as skilled as the more educated nurses.

Esteemed Contributor

You mean companies are still hiring "professionals" and paying a good wage? Most of those jobs are being out-sourced. Companies realized that hiring contractors and temps is the way to go. No benefits, no vacations, no pensions!!!!!!!!!! True - it's hard to even save money today. I'm lucky to be "old" and retired.

Respected Contributor

@MEM22 wrote:

Sadly nursing is so overcrowded now. New grads have few options. The field has become very glutted. Many larger medical centers now want you to have your MSN or at least be enrolled in a program. Many are becoming NPs and again that job market is overcrowded too.

i have a friend who is a professor. She said even 20 years ago only about 50-60% percent completed college. Now a days a bachelors degree is so common and average 😔.

@MEM22, that is not the case here for new RN grads either with an Associate or Bachelor's degree.  RNs can work with adults, children, or the elderly.  They can work in the hospital, home health, long term care facilities....just to name a few.   No positions in this area require a master's degree for positions that are considered  nurse generalists.  There are some positions that do require graduate education, but those are not nurse generalist positions. 

Sometimes oversupply or shortages cycle back and forth in geographical areas.  And sometimes in the past we have suffered critical shortages of nurses that was nation wide.  Just depends.  Right now, the field of NPs is a little crowded in this area.  But as baby boomers continue to age, it is projected the positions for NPs will also increase.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

A friend's daughter just passed her nursing boards.  She had a job lined up upon passing her boards - surgical nurse.  Starting salary is $67,000 and a BSN is required.  Master's is encouraged, but not necessary. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One thing I know for sure is that nurses do not go back to school totally on the hospital's dime.   Most hospitals do have tuition reimbursement, but as i stated previously they have slashed those funds considerably.  In this area, tuition reimbursement from the largest hospitals does not cover 25% of the tuition for courses required for any RN-BSN program.

Requiring BSN as minimum educational preparation will vary by geographic region.  Typically in the south, we don't do as well with that.  But even in the south, hospitals are encouraging their nurses to return to school to keep their positions.  That creates a double edged sword.  Hospitals don't pay that much in tuition reimbursement and tuition is expensive.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *