Respected Contributor

Re: Please, Take Off Your...

Another thing about asking guests to remove shoes, is that some people need to wear supportive shoes because of foot problems.

A friend of mine must wear shoes with orthodics because of a foot problem.  Her doctor has told her she should wear shoes all the time, even at home.  

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

@LolaLasagne wrote:

My boss decided to have our weekly staff meeting at her house this morning, because she wanted to cook us breakfast. There are only 10 of us. I thought that was so nice, and several of us brought fresh juice, special jams, etc.

When I arrived, she asked me to take off my shoes. Now, I know a lot of people ask this of their guests, so regardless of what I think of this practice, I get it, and I'm fine with doing it. However, she has two giant Golden Retrievers who were running around the house jumping up on me, digging their snouts into my crotch, and I had to avoid giant tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere I walked. By the time breakfast was finished, I was covered in dog hair and slobber. Am I crazy, or was it too much for her to ask us to take off our shoes in this particular situation?

OMGoodness!  How awful....hopefully she'll never make you go back to her home for any reason ever again!! YUK!!  I can't stand big dogs jumping up on me....and hair all over me and then my feet coated in it GROSS!!

I think you boss is abit off her rocker asking for people to remove shoes....in a home like that the guests should be told to leave them on.

Honored Contributor

This wasn't a social event, it was a team meeting on company time.  The boss should have let everybody keep their shoes on, vacuumed for company and put the dog in another room.  The boss was in the wrong.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The boss should NEVER have held a business breakfast at her house if she/he requires people to take off thier shoes. Totally unprofessional and rude. And to allow her dogs to roam free and to bother her employees was beyond the pale. What the heck is wrong with people these days?

Honored Contributor

Channeling 'Higgins'  (John Hillerman) (Magnum P.I.) :

Way back when, when we were 'looky-loo's', in a local house for sale,

we were asked to remove our shoes.  I don't recall exactly if they provided pedi-socks or not. If not, I was wearing my own socks.

'Anyway', those newly polished hardwood floors and STAIRS were so very slippery.  I had to hold on to the bannister for 'dear life'. 

I know, this is slightly off topic.  But I couldn't help myself.......

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Like someone else said, I would've called in sick and if she sprang this on everyone at the office like a field trip, I would have held my stomach and said count me out and gone home.  I doubt the boss would want someone who looks like they need the toilet, to use hers.  

Esteemed Contributor

If I were your boss, I would have secured the dogs in a bedroom or outside or somewhere. We have 2 large dogs and one small dog in the house. When we have guests, I usually put the dogs in one of the extra bedrooms.

If I were serving food, I would have definitely had the dogs in a seperate room. And I truly like my dogs more than I do most people.

Regular Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@LolaLasagne wrote:

My boss decided to have our weekly staff meeting at her house this morning, because she wanted to cook us breakfast. There are only 10 of us. I thought that was so nice, and several of us brought fresh juice, special jams, etc.

When I arrived, she asked me to take off my shoes. Now, I know a lot of people ask this of their guests, so regardless of what I think of this practice, I get it, and I'm fine with doing it. However, she has two giant Golden Retrievers who were running around the house jumping up on me, digging their snouts into my crotch, and I had to avoid giant tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere I walked. By the time breakfast was finished, I was covered in dog hair and slobber. Am I crazy, or was it too much for her to ask us to take off our shoes in this particular situation?

If ‘taking off the shoes’ was the crux of the post, why was....

“digging their snouts into my crotch, and I had to avoid giant 

tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere I walked. By the time breakfast 

was finished, I was covered in dog hair and slobber” even mentioned?

I think the OP wanted to type the word ‘crotch’, ‘tumbleweeds’

and ‘slobber’....and created the narrative to support it. 

You are kidding right.  

Regular Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Never had been a fan of dog jumping on me or drooling on me. Forget sniffing at my crotch. All this on the way to the dining room? Doubt I would have made it to the actual brunch! I would have turned around and headed to my car in horror. Nope. Not my idea of a bruch with dogs in the room. I'm out. Don't care if it's my boss or not. She can choose between me or the drooling dogs. That's thoughtless and rude IMO.

You justed wanted to say crotch! LOL

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

she's fussy about shoes....but not about a house full of dog hair?!   you're not crazy...i would have asked for a lint roller!!!  jmo....

Sounds like your hostess didn't bother to do a little basic house cleaning before inviting guests.  You shouldn't have to dodge clumps of dog hair, which is in the air and even migrates to food being served.  The dogs should have been put outside or in another area of the house.  Not everyone is a dog lover.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment