Honored Contributor

Re: Please, Take Off Your...

I'm okay with the "no shoes" rule.  But she was very rude not to restrain her dogs.  Some dog owners don't understand that not everyone loves dogs in their face.  Under the circumstances, there isn't much you could have done.  I might have politely asked her to keep them away.

Honored Contributor

I have 3 goldens, but i think she should had put the dogs up in another room.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@LolaLasagne wrote:

My boss decided to have our weekly staff meeting at her house this morning, because she wanted to cook us breakfast. There are only 10 of us. I thought that was so nice, and several of us brought fresh juice, special jams, etc.

When I arrived, she asked me to take off my shoes. Now, I know a lot of people ask this of their guests, so regardless of what I think of this practice, I get it, and I'm fine with doing it. However, she has two giant Golden Retrievers who were running around the house jumping up on me, digging their snouts into my crotch, and I had to avoid giant tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere I walked. By the time breakfast was finished, I was covered in dog hair and slobber. Am I crazy, or was it too much for her to ask us to take off our shoes in this particular situation?

If ‘taking off the shoes’ was the crux of the post, why was....

“digging their snouts into my crotch, and I had to avoid giant 

tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere I walked. By the time breakfast 

was finished, I was covered in dog hair and slobber” even mentioned?

I think the OP wanted to type the word ‘crotch’, ‘tumbleweeds’

and ‘slobber’....and created the narrative to support it. 

@sidsmom That's disgusting. You have issues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LolaLasagne wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@LolaLasagne wrote:

My boss decided to have our weekly staff meeting at her house this morning, because she wanted to cook us breakfast. There are only 10 of us. I thought that was so nice, and several of us brought fresh juice, special jams, etc.

When I arrived, she asked me to take off my shoes. Now, I know a lot of people ask this of their guests, so regardless of what I think of this practice, I get it, and I'm fine with doing it. However, she has two giant Golden Retrievers who were running around the house jumping up on me, digging their snouts into my crotch, and I had to avoid giant tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere I walked. By the time breakfast was finished, I was covered in dog hair and slobber. Am I crazy, or was it too much for her to ask us to take off our shoes in this particular situation?

If ‘taking off the shoes’ was the crux of the post, why was....

“digging their snouts into my crotch, and I had to avoid giant 

tumbleweeds of dog hair everywhere I walked. By the time breakfast 

was finished, I was covered in dog hair and slobber” even mentioned?

I think the OP wanted to type the word ‘crotch’, ‘tumbleweeds’

and ‘slobber’....and created the narrative to support it. 

@sidsmom That's disgusting. You have issues.

@LolaLasagne

Sugar...you originally brought it up....

but hey, do what you have to do to...be happy.

Honored Contributor

I would never have been able to eat anything in a house that dirty.

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t mind the take your shoes off at the door.  I do mind the fact that dogs are loose during a meeting.  I am a dog owner and never let my Lab rule the house when company arrives.  She is happy to go into her bed in the bedroom.  If I have company that knows and loves my dog, she can come out for a brief visit after meals but then goes right back to the bedroom.

Now that she is older, she is happy to miss the company.

As a dog owner, what I hate is guests rough housing with my dog in the house, especially my older dog.  We never do that with our dogs and they are not used to it.  In my view, people who do this should be put in their own  bedroom and locked up.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have any problem with the request to remove shoes. Someone said that the dogs can't remove their paws, which is true, but may be moot. They do make covers for dog paws that would prevent dogs from tracking dirt and mud inside, just like humans removing shoes would. It's possible the woman uses those on her dogs before she walks them.

The issue here seems to be the uncontrolled dogs and what sounds like her inability to vacuum, which are unrelated to shoes. Unless the OP thinks that having her shoes on would magically create a bubble that dogs cannot nose through and fur cannot cling to, I don't know why the shoes were even mentioned.

I do think that anyone who has pets, even perfectly behaved pets, or wants people to remove shoes in their home should let guests know in an invitation, so they can opt out if they don't feel comfortable. I'm allergic to anything with fur or feathers, even 'hyperallergenic' dogs, and sometimes wear shoes with Gekks installed - so no socks. If I know there are pets, I can adjust my meds as needed and also plan to stay no more than an hour. And if I need to take my shoes off, like at the airport, I can make sure I wear good socks.

Honored Contributor

Well, I would figure 'her house, her rules'.    As to the dogs, I would think that it would be appropriate, in this event, to have the dogs either in another part of the house or outside if that is possible.

I also have a Golden Retriever so I totally get the 'hair' issue.  OMG, hair everywhere even in parts of the house where he doesn't even go.  I do my best to keep things clean and I'm picking up hair a zillion times a day, so it's pretty much unavoidable to have some amount of hair.

My husband takes off his shoes when he comes in the house and I really do appreciate that because he is one who really doesn't watch where he walks at all.    I'm somewhat disabled and I'm the one who has to clean the carpets, so it does make a HUGE difference.   

I have to say that he made considerably more a mess (with shoes) of the carpets than the dog does though!    

Honored Contributor

It doesn't make much sense to me, in this particular situation.

I would have worried about how clean her kitchen counters, food prep., etc. were.

p.s. I love, love dogs.  'Don't get me wrong'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

@LolaLasagne - Perhaps you're crazy but not about this.  I probably would have left.  Boss or not.  Meeting or not.