Respected Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Keep to a budget for sure.  Remind the bride that this is a day to celebrate a life commitment, not show off.  Keep expectations reasonable.  Invite only those people you really want there.  You are not obligated to invite everyone your've ever had contact with.  This includes family.  STAY CALM!  

@GREAT advice @Brandiwin.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We will be in the same situation soon.  Poor guy is getting up the nerve to ask us, I can tell he's so close to asking and then kind of shies away.  I mean it's not like we're ogres or anything!

We have decided that we will give them a check to do with what they wish, pay for the dress and that's it.  We aren't paying for the entire shindig - the guest list is too lopsided and I'm not inviting people just for the sake of evening things up.

@CelticCrafter You are smart. Son is getting married at the end of the month and in hindsight I wish we just wrote a check. It is also a lopsided wedding, 40 on our side and 120 on the other. 

We are paying for flowers, rehearsal dinner and farewell breakfast. 

Another one to add to the list. Farewell breakfast.

That is lopsided. But if they are paying for more of it on brides side, they get to make most of the arrangements IMO.

Respected Contributor
Farewell breakfast? You mean this isn’t just in an Elin Hilderbrand novel? I think I can cross that off my list! Humor never hurts.
Thanks for comments and suggestions thus far.
Respected Contributor

It’s your daughter’s wedding. She should be doing this early leg work. Let her know your budget and then help with specifics, as needed. But she, not you, should get the ball rolling with her vision for the type of wedding, the type of venue, etc. Then, you can help by giving her local options from which to choose. 

Respected Contributor
@libbyannE

Point well taken. Since I have no idea what things are costing, I am looking at venues to see how far the dollar goes. Many venues also booked over year in advance. This helps me feel better about setting budget.
Honored Contributor

Re: Planning Wedding

[ Edited ]

@panda1234 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We will be in the same situation soon.  Poor guy is getting up the nerve to ask us, I can tell he's so close to asking and then kind of shies away.  I mean it's not like we're ogres or anything!

We have decided that we will give them a check to do with what they wish, pay for the dress and that's it.  We aren't paying for the entire shindig - the guest list is too lopsided and I'm not inviting people just for the sake of evening things up.

@CelticCrafter You are smart. Son is getting married at the end of the month and in hindsight I wish we just wrote a check. It is also a lopsided wedding, 40 on our side and 120 on the other. 

We are paying for flowers, rehearsal dinner and farewell breakfast. 

WOW!  Now people come and eat for three days.   Look into the tax laws and see if  you can deduct them as dependents!  

Respected Contributor
We’re doing a welcome dinner and a farewell breakfast because most of our guests are coming from out of town. Honestly, we’re at an age now that our aunts and uncles are aging and our cousins are busy with their own children (and some of them have grandchildren). We’re all looking forward to getting together for an occasion other than a funeral.

We can afford it and no one is forced to be there, so why not?
Honored Contributor

It's been quite a while since we attended a wedding celebration.  Sounds like some are similar to a cruise, a series of meals offered over the duration of the event. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
@ RollTideRoll2008

You are so right to provide a joyful opportunity for family to get together if you can afford. That’s quite thoughtful. Families are so strung out one needs to take opportunity when it arrives. Your family is sure to appreciate.
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
@libbyannE

Point well taken. Since I have no idea what things are costing, I am looking at venues to see how far the dollar goes. Many venues also booked over year in advance. This helps me feel better about setting budget.

@Twins Mom

I’m sure it will all work out. Your scouting local venues will be a huge help to your distant daughter! She’s lucky to have you!