Respected Contributor

What's the story on Pinterest?  I see things on that site that interest me, and I can't access the site without joining.  Do you have to have a Facebook account?  How does it work?  TIA

Honored Contributor

You don't have to have a FB account. You can just join Pinterest.

I still don't get it though.  I do see some cute things there but have no desire to "pin" stuff.    

Super Contributor

I love Pinterest.  I have many different folders (not sure what they're really called).  I have one for home decor, remodeling ideas, pets, etc.  I used to pour through magazines looking for decorating ideas.  Now I usually use Pinterest.  I check it almost every day.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Honored Contributor

@NickNack1 wrote:

I love Pinterest.  I have many different folders (not sure what they're really called).  I have one for home decor, remodeling ideas, pets, etc.  I used to pour through magazines looking for decorating ideas.  Now I usually use Pinterest.  I check it almost every day.

They're called boards, because the whole idea is based around a the cork board you might pin things to on an actual wall.

I also love Pinterest. I love looking at the beautiful pictures of places I've never been. I also pin all the recipes I'm interested in. Many sites have their own ways of favoriting recipes on their own site, but if you find recipes everywhere, you have to check everywhere to retrieve them. Much easier to keep them all in one place on Pinterest.

Honored Contributor

I joined a few years ago and I do not have a FB acct. I love it.  You would think I weigh 300 pounds with the amount of food boards I have on there but I have found it is less paperwork by having a "cookbook" on line instead of scraps of paper.  I

Plus I have boards for books, Texas, my hometown ect....

You will love it.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@fortune wrote:

What's the story on Pinterest?  I see things on that site that interest me, and I can't access the site without joining.  Do you have to have a Facebook account?  How does it work?  TIA

Almost any social media site (including these forums) will allow you to link up your Facebook or Twitter account or use Facebook/Twitter to log in because then they get access to your posts. That's not the same thing as requiring you to have a Facebook account, which is optional. Any site I've been on that lets you use Facebook or Twitter to log in also lets you log in with an email address instead (including these forums.) I have a few sites linked to Facebook, but the majority of the sites I use I choose NOT to link to Facebook.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, ChynnaBlue!!  I have another question for you!  How do you post questions and answers on the same post with a left-hand side line denoting the question and the answer right below it?  I'm still trying to figure out how to use this board.  Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

I use Pinterest (don't use Facebook).  On Pinterest I highlight (pin) my eBay listings and have my eBay Store name on the page.  Much of what I've pinned has been sold but I also put new items on so there is a constant change.  I've had a lot of people take a pin and pin it to their boards.  I understand that some have seen my items, get interested and come over to eBay to look me up.  I'm my case it's advertising....  Woman LOL   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

@fortune wrote:

Thanks, ChynnaBlue!!  I have another question for you!  How do you post questions and answers on the same post with a left-hand side line denoting the question and the answer right below it?  I'm still trying to figure out how to use this board.  Thanks!!

Are you talking about quoting?  If so, just click the Reply button next to the reply (post) you want to answer.  Then click on the word QUOTE  that apperars above the box on the right hand side and it will paste the post into the box (with the pale line along the left hand side.)  Then you just type underneath.  (PS You're doing great!)

To your original question, I enjoy Pinterest.  I find so many beautiful pictures of places I'd love to visit, Art, Books to read, and of course food!  Plus it bears mentioning that of all the websites using the one long page, infinitely scrolling format, Pinterest is the one in which it actually works well!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Super Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@NickNack1 wrote:

They're called boards, because the whole idea is based around a the cork board you might pin things to on an actual wall.

I also love Pinterest. I love looking at the beautiful pictures of places I've never been. I also pin all the recipes I'm interested in. Many sites have their own ways of favoriting recipes on their own site, but if you find recipes everywhere, you have to check everywhere to retrieve them. Much easier to keep them all in one place on Pinterest.

Thanks Chynna Blue.  I knew that but couldn't remember the name.  I'm doing that a lot lately unfortunately.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)