~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Phyllis George Dies

[ Edited ]

@croemer wrote:

Very sad...wonder what blood disorder?

@croemer I found this in a Kentucky online newspaper article:

"George was diagnosed with polycythemia vera, a rare blood cancer that was diagnosed 35 years ago." It also said that she died at the University of Kentucky Medical Center.  Her children, Lincoln and Pamela, released this statement:

"For many, Mom was known by her incredible accomplishments as the pioneering female sportscaster, 50th Miss America, and first lady.

But this was all before we were born, and never how we viewed Mom. To us, she was the most incredible mother we could ever ask for, and it is all of the defining qualities the public never saw, especially against the winds of adversity, that symbolize how extraordinary she is more than anything else.

The beauty so many recognized on the outside was a mere fraction of her internal beauty, only to be outdone by an unwavering spirit that allowed her to persevere against all the odds.”

Honored Contributor

The blood disease she had polycythemia Vera doesn't have a long life expectancy. 2-14 years.  She dealt with it for 35 years!  Amazing.  She did a lot of good for her state.   I think I remember her from TV, in the 1970's seems like her name was out there a lot

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Phyllis George was part of two QVC shows. American Crafts with Phyllis George from around 1993 to 1998 and BIG TIME with Phyllis George, a show featuring small business entrepreneurs that she guest hosted with Dan Wheeler on Fridays at 8pm ET from March to July 1998.

1993_07_05.jpg

1998_02_23.jpg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow, didn't know about her death.

DH and I were having lunch with some of my husband's old friends one day on a visit to DH's hometown.

Across from us at another table was a childhood friend of everyone at our table (who happens to be a well-known celebrity herself),  She was having lunch with Phyllis,  apparently her longtime friend.

We wound up sitting at their table for a while, so all the old acquaintances could talk  and catch up on old times.

I was sitting next to Phyllis and had a nice conversation with her while the others were talking.   She and I apparently were the "outsiders" in this little reunion gathering.  A charming and fun lady to talk with.

I guess everyone knows her daughter, Pamela Brown, is a CNN news anchorwoman and reporter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

She was a first lady of Kentucky, i think,so pretty,seemed like a nice lady.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

One of the first items I ever bought from QVC was a craft item presented by Phyllis George. She was so graceful, so unique.

Respected Contributor

She was the only “beauty queen” that I ever related to. She was more than a pretty girl. Her programs on QVC were always enjoyable 

Respected Contributor

Of course she was a former first lady of Kentucky.  I always admired her in that not long after getting married, she was thrust into a political bright light.  She handled it all beautifully and adopted Kentucky as her state.

She was well liked by many here with a real appreciation for what she did to promote artwork and crafts from Kentucky.  

So sorry that she passed away.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *