Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Phone call from area code 155?

I heard (somewhere here) that the Feds gave the phone companies the permission to block spam or whatever calls, but they declined doing it. Could be a rumor, but thought I'd let everyone know, if it's true.  Anyway, some folks often thought that why should we pay their entire phone bill when/if they can't answer their phones?  Some folks don't have the capabilities to run to their phones, check the incoming numbers.  It's dangerous for seniors.  I say, if they won't block those spam calls, then folks should have a monthly price reduction, being they only use their phones to make outgoing calls.  Right?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

I have received spam calls from our own number!

That's never happened to me - yet. 

How do they even do that? 

Honored Contributor

@nun ya  HOLY COW - I get a call like this at least once a week, sometimes more in one week!!!!  It's always a caller of asian decent telling me they're calling from Microsoft about my computer.  I just hang up.  I'm still on a landline so I don't have caller ID ie cannot see who's calling prior to my answering.  Every so often I'll say to the caller to STOP calling me.  I really need to report them to my Attorney Gen office.

These people drive me insane!!!

Honored Contributor

@June222  If you really want to check on this number you can always call the Operator and they'll do an immediate search for you.  Then more than likely tell you it's a phishing call and to definitely NOT answer it nor call back.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@June222  If you really want to check on this number you can always call the Operator and they'll do an immediate search for you.  Then more than likely tell you it's a phishing call and to definitely NOT answer it nor call back.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

@PINKdogWOOD, I just laughed out loud at myself. It has been so long since I've had a land line that I forgot there were such things as Operators! Never use them on my cell. Talk about taking me back in time. Woman Surprised

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMackI'm laughing too!  I'm also dating myself mentioning still with my landline.  I actually do have a cell phone but never use it LOL.  Or rarely use it.  I like to take photos with it and I do text with it periodically.  I can send the photos to friends with an interest in my photos which are either of my dog and/or flowers/plants in my yard.

I do have a 7" tablet which I love, take photos w/it and send out too.  Of course use it for emails too - often.

My cell came in very handy when hubby was in the hospital having surgeries for his cancers just to let close friends/family informed on his progress.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@nun ya  HOLY COW - I get a call like this at least once a week, sometimes more in one week!!!!  It's always a caller of asian decent telling me they're calling from Microsoft about my computer.  I just hang up.  I'm still on a landline so I don't have caller ID ie cannot see who's calling prior to my answering.  Every so often I'll say to the caller to STOP calling me.  I really need to report them to my Attorney Gen office.

These people drive me insane!!!

if you buy a  landline phone you will have caller ID on it they are inexpensive,

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pay $30. a month for my landline.....plus $10 a month for caller ID. I have a cell phone that I only have in the car for emergencies.... I pay $10 a month for that. 

Honored Contributor

@June222, you can always search the number on the internet - there are sites where people report spam and unusual calls.  Here's what one has to say about 155-503-4315:

800notes

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased the eletronic gizmo from hsn to block unwanted calls, have registered with authorites to stop the calls as well.  We still get calls.  I have to remember that elections will be held next year and that the boiler rooms seem to somehow get a free pass.  We don't answer those we don't recognize or know. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust