Trusted Contributor

Phone call from area code 155?

How can I get a phone call from an area code that does not exist? I got a call from this number,...155-503-4315. When I do a reverse phone look up it does not work... no area code like that known I guess. Of course I did not answer the number and no message was left. Just strange that an area code can show up on caller ID that is non existant.

Respected Contributor

Re: Phone call from area code 155?

probably a call about your "infected computer"

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

These scam callers are doing what is referred to as “spoofing”. They have equipment that can mimic other numbers and names. I finally purchased a call blocking device and it’s made a big difference.

Trusted Contributor

Whenever you see an area code, or a prefix beginning with a "1", you can be assured

that it is someone using caller id spoofing. Dont bother answering.

Valued Contributor

I've noticed this same phenomena as well.  Fortunately for those of us who have call blockers, those numbers (even the spoofed ones) do store in memory so it's a "one and done" thing for me.  

Maria

Honored Contributor

I signed up for nomorobo and it was the best thing I did. The phone rings once and the call is cut off if it's an automated call.  The number pops up on our tv and sometimes it will show all 0s.      

Respected Contributor

Nomorobo sounds wonderful, but I just checked their website and it is not available on wireless phones.  I don't have a landline, but I have been seeing a huge increase in unknown caller/area code calls on my cell phone recently. 

Super Contributor

I rarely answer my landline for it is almost always someone trying to sell me something.  Eventually, the callers get tired and give up.  If the call is from someone I know, then I'll call them back at my convenience.

A week ago I received a call that came in on caller ID with my husband's name and our home number.  I just saw my husband's name, not paying attention that it was our home number instead of his cellphone no..  He was out running errands, so I answered quickly.  When someone on the other end, began talking about  a message for the cardholder...blah blah blah...I hung up.  I wasn't about to have a conversation with someone who altered their true number and business name.

It's tough, but you have to try and keep one step ahead of these people.  You cannot believe any of the numbers on your caller ID as they somehow have the ability to change them to their liking. Very aggravating.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

Nomorobo sounds wonderful, but I just checked their website and it is not available on wireless phones.  I don't have a landline, but I have been seeing a huge increase in unknown caller/area code calls on my cell phone recently. 

Yeah I still have a landline phone.  We only keep it because we are in a package deal with TWC and if we drop our landline, it drops our package so it would actually cost us more per month to drop the landline.  LOL

I too am seeing a huge increase in these types of calls to my cell phone and I'm sure that's because that is the number I give out now when need be so it's getting passed around and put on lists.

Respected Contributor

I have received spam calls from our own number!