Esteemed Contributor

People On Foot Using The Drive-Thru

I went to the bank this am, just needed to make a deposit.   I turned into the drive-thru lane closest to the building, there were 2 cars at the outer drive thru lane, there are 2 older (late 60ish/70ish) standing there. You can go in the bank, there is a sign for lengthy transaction go inside.

Both lanes are pneumatic tubes.

There was me, a woman who pulled in right behind me and then a pickup truck.  By then there were 3 cars on my right side waiting in that lane.

I turned my car off after a couple of minutes, I'm not sit in a running car with the price of gas. I was blocked and couldn't leave unless I ran over the women.

15 minutes we waited for these 2 to finish their business. I know Dunkin in the same town does not allow walk ups. Liability issue.

Do you/would you walk up in a drive thru?

Honored Contributor

Re: People On Foot Using The Drive-Thru

I probably wouldn't, because I think these places frown on that.

However, and I'm not certain how totally true this is (he tends to exaggerate), but I was told recently that McDonald's stores here lately have been completed closed inside and all they are offering is drive-thru.

Valued Contributor

I do not but it doesn't bother me if people do it.

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

It's illegal for people on foot to use drive through facilities in my state because it's dangerous for anyone other than those in a motorized vehicle.  They're not even allowed to serve those on horseback.

I'd call the bank manager and complain.  They should have been turned away unless the bank is dying for a lawsuit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@persiflage  Had it been 1 woman and a quick transaction that is one thing.

After waiting for several minutes they sent the tube back, the woman took something out, proceeded to sign something, send it back and we waited again. That was just the 1st woman.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I'm not sure what PA law is on this. I can't imagine many businesses wanting the risk someone getting hit.

The guy in the truck gave a quick tap on his horn after 10 minutes.

The 2nd woman's head whipped around and if looks could kill he would be dead.  

Honored Contributor

I've never done that -  most likely never would.   Can't imagine it's all that safe.

Honored Contributor

I will do - and I have done - this in one situation. I'm in a car with someone else driving. I need cash. The bank is closed or we're on our way somewhere and are in a hurry. The driver pulls up. I hop out in front and use the ATM, then get back in the car.

I value my privacy, even when I'm with good friends. 

As far as I know I've never held anyone up. Most of the time there has been no one behind us. One time another car pulled in. But it never takes me that long

I've also been behind someone "on foot." It's never bothered me.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Kachina624  I'm not sure what PA law is on this. I can't imagine many businesses wanting the risk someone getting hit.

The guy in the truck gave a quick tap on his horn after 10 minutes.

The 2nd woman's head whipped around and if looks could kill he would be dead.  

@CrazyKittyLvr2    I also can't imagine a bank's liability insurance carrier would allow such a thing.  I've never seen it happen any place I've lived.  I would have been on my cell to the manager while I was still waiting in line.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Yes, it happens at the bank where I trade. The inside doesn't open until 9, but the drive-thru opens at 8:30. It's always eldery people who are walking up to the drive-thru window. I figure that they are getting their check cashed (or withdrawn), and they don't own a car. They also don't want to wait until 9 when the inside opens. Doesn't bother me. I even chat a little with them while waiting. Smiley Happy