Honored Contributor

Re: People Have The Right To Be Wrong

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Of course we have the right to be wrong. I can't imagine that anyone can go through life without ever having made a mistake, without ever having done the wrong thing, regardless of intentions. The important issue to me is that we recognize when we've done wrong or said the wrong thing, and we learn from it. I can think of at least two instances in the last several years where I was quite wrong, although at the time I thought I was right. Once I realized I had done the wrong thing I apologized profusely and vowed I will never make that same mistake again. I think that if someone continues to do the same wrong thing over and over, that's just unacceptable.

*************************  There is much truth in what you say here. The man who coined the phrase "People Have A Right To Be Wrong", was a recovering alcoholic who had turned his life around and now helps people better communicate with others.  He talked about all the lectures he had received from friends and family over the years about his drinking.  He said it really did not help him and how lecturing people and telling them they are wrong is not good.  He goes on to say, that when we are talking to others we need to give them the "right to be wrong" because, until they think it is wrong....it is just wasting your breath to keep telling them otherwise.  This is what led me to believe that statement was true.  Of course, statements like this, without the story behind it can lead to just about anything!  It has been interesting.  Thanks to everyone for all the posts!

Respected Contributor

Abbott and Costello's 'Who's on First?'.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

*************************  There is much truth in what you say here. The man who coined the phrase "People Have A Right To Be Wrong", was a recovering alcoholic who had turned his life around and now helps people better communicate with others.  He talked about all the lectures he had received from friends and family over the years about his drinking.  He said it really did not help him and how lecturing people and telling them they are wrong is not good.  He goes on to say, that when we are talking to others we need to give them the "right to be wrong" because, until they think it is wrong....it is just wasting your breath to keep telling them otherwise.  This is what led me to believe that statement was true.  Of course, statements like this, without the story behind it can lead to just about anything!  It has been interesting.  Thanks to everyone for all the posts!

I agree. People need to learn their lessons in their own time and way. That’s why I said in my earlier post to go with the flow, don’t try to control people.
I’m reminded of my old boss. He made terrible decisions and treated people badly. I wanted to have a heart-to-heart talk with him but I knew he wasn’t ready to hear what I had to say. He thought he was right. He was eventually fired. He suffered for his decisions but perhaps that’s what was needed for him to learn to do better. Life has a way of teaching us those hard lessons eventually.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jubilant wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I think this is about us giving people the right to be wrong without that bothering us.  No one likes to be told they are wrong.  It  was about stuffing each others wrongs back in each others faces.  It's about letting other people be wrong without telling them they are wrong to promote better conversations.  It is not telling them they are right....it is not telling them they are wrong.  If they are wrong it is something they must learn for themselves.  So until you yourself are ready to see it...you will not see it. That goes for all people. That's basically what the guy was saying.

I agree this could be taken a lot of different ways.  If I had created the title myself, I think I might have said..."we need to give people the right to be wrong"  On the other hand that is not for us to give and you get into the matter of choice...so I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this!!  Everyones take on it has been interesting.  It was more the title that drew me in....

there are ways to correct someone, but seriously, if people cannot accept being corrected with facts, it tells me that they do not want to know the correct information and blindly have their own narrative.

If you are refering to life choices, like marrying the wrong person and refusing to accept what others can see, at some point and time, you will have to admit you are wrong in that choice.      However, most people aren't going to "correct" you on your choice of partner (maybe some close friends and family)   

Or taking  a risk that everyone thinks is a bad move. Those things are personal life experiences.  What I was thinking of when I read your OP, was about people denying basic and factual information.   Not life choices.

*********************  I get what you are saying but you say "you would have to admit you are wrong in that choice".  Some people never admit they are wrong!  It is that person's right to either deny it or admit it.  As far as people denying basic and factual information, people get their facts and information from different sources.  They rely and trust those sources and the sources may tell each person something different.  If you don't trust my facts and I don't trust your facts, so to speak.  For example the weatherman may say it's going to rain today.  I look out my window and it's cloudy and tell DH... "the weatherman says it's going to rain today but from what I see, I don't think it will"  DH then tells me...I think he's right...look outside.  I say...I think it will clear up.  It rains.  He got his facts from the weatherman.....I looked at the sky.  Now the weatherman is the expert and he looked at the sky too.  In this case the weatherman was wrong even though he is the expert and had all the facts there on a screen...BUT....it didn't rain.   

weather changes all the time & it is specific to your location.  The weather man is not looking at the sky, he is tracking thru sophisticated equipment and satellites.  It could be raining one mile down the road and not in your area.  The weather patterns may move and shift.  That type of data is changeable, because weather patterns are changeable .   More often than not, however, the weather folks DO get it right and if they err, it isn't because they are incompetent.

That said, there are hard scientific and mathematical facts that people ignore because they wish to "believe" something else.

2 + 2 = 4, not 5.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Esteemed Contributor

I can't imagine why someone would want to be perceived as stupid for clinging to their own "facts." jmo

Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I think this is about us giving people the right to be wrong without that bothering us.  No one likes to be told they are wrong.  It  was about stuffing each others wrongs back in each others faces.  It's about letting other people be wrong without telling them they are wrong to promote better conversations.  It is not telling them they are right....it is not telling them they are wrong.  If they are wrong it is something they must learn for themselves.  So until you yourself are ready to see it...you will not see it. That goes for all people. That's basically what the guy was saying.

I agree this could be taken a lot of different ways.  If I had created the title myself, I think I might have said..."we need to give people the right to be wrong"  On the other hand that is not for us to give and you get into the matter of choice...so I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this!!  Everyones take on it has been interesting.  It was more the title that drew me in....

there are ways to correct someone, but seriously, if people cannot accept being corrected with facts, it tells me that they do not want to know the correct information and blindly have their own narrative.

If you are refering to life choices, like marrying the wrong person and refusing to accept what others can see, at some point and time, you will have to admit you are wrong in that choice.      However, most people aren't going to "correct" you on your choice of partner (maybe some close friends and family)   

Or taking  a risk that everyone thinks is a bad move. Those things are personal life experiences.  What I was thinking of when I read your OP, was about people denying basic and factual information.   Not life choices.

*********************  I get what you are saying but you say "you would have to admit you are wrong in that choice".  Some people never admit they are wrong!  It is that person's right to either deny it or admit it.  As far as people denying basic and factual information, people get their facts and information from different sources.  They rely and trust those sources and the sources may tell each person something different.  If you don't trust my facts and I don't trust your facts, so to speak.  For example the weatherman may say it's going to rain today.  I look out my window and it's cloudy and tell DH... "the weatherman says it's going to rain today but from what I see, I don't think it will"  DH then tells me...I think he's right...look outside.  I say...I think it will clear up.  It rains.  He got his facts from the weatherman.....I looked at the sky.  Now the weatherman is the expert and he looked at the sky too.  In this case the weatherman was wrong even though he is the expert and had all the facts there on a screen...BUT....it didn't rain.   

weather changes all the time & it is specific to your location.  The weather man is not looking at the sky, he is tracking thru sophisticated equipment and satellites.  It could be raining one mile down the road and not in your area.  The weather patterns may move and shift.  That type of data is changeable, because weather patterns are changeable .   More often than not, however, the weather folks DO get it right and if they err, it isn't because they are incompetent.

That said, there are hard scientific and mathematical facts that people ignore because they wish to "believe" something else.

2 + 2 = 4, not 5.

************************* You brought up the word "believe".  You talk about hard facts (Science and Math).  Everything is science and reason these days.  So, if I can't see it,  hear it, smell it, taste it, touch it and test it, it can't be true they say.  Today many think popular opinion is a good way of making decisions....and many go on how something feels...if it feels good do it.  After all.....  How can anyone argue with how you feel?  What if I ask a question that Science can't answer? What  happens then?

If you don't believe their is ultimate truth.  You won't believe this....I understand that.  I can see where this is heading and I am up for it if you want to talk it.  We may go poof!

I am far from being always right and I have been wrong about many things but there are some things I am very sure about because the "evidence" is there.  I am not saying that Science is not great....it is... but there is plenty of evidence out there that Science has had to change it's mind  upon further investigation.  I believe there is absolute truth...which is not against Science....it is the science, knowledge and wisdom  ......behind everything.  We have talked before, biancardi....so I know you know where I am at on this and hope we can still agree to disagree agreeably.  I have to leave home for awhile.  If you want to talk more I will catch you later.  Getting ready for my mom's 86th birthday tomorrow.  Lot's to do. 

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I don't believe being wrong is a right. I think it is a choice. 

There are plenty of truths that some people just don't want to accept. To elevate ignorance and a stubborn need to continue be***

******************* But what is truth to one person may not be truth to another person.

Now you're getting into "opinions" here ..... my sister thinks her divorce was a failure,  and I think it was one of the best things to ever happen to her!   

The way I see it is your sisters truth or what she tells herself is the truth, thinks her divorce was a failure.  Your truth or what you tell yourself is her divorce is one of the best things ever to happen to her.  So who is telling  the truth????  She thinks she is and you think you are.

Where you use the word truth could easily be replaced with the word opinion  .... and is highly subjective.

******************** I think my truth is what helps me form my opinions.

Well, that's just your opinion.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I don't believe being wrong is a right. I think it is a choice. 

There are plenty of truths that some people just don't want to accept. To elevate ignorance and a stubborn need to continue be***

******************* But what is truth to one person may not be truth to another person.

Now you're getting into "opinions" here ..... my sister thinks her divorce was a failure,  and I think it was one of the best things to ever happen to her!   

The way I see it is your sisters truth or what she tells herself is the truth, thinks her divorce was a failure.  Your truth or what you tell yourself is her divorce is one of the best things ever to happen to her.  So who is telling  the truth????  She thinks she is and you think you are.

Where you use the word truth could easily be replaced with the word opinion  .... and is highly subjective.

******************** I think my truth is what helps me form my opinions.

Well, that's just your opinion.

*******************  That's right.  That's all it is.    

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I know this is not why this thread was posted, but it reminds me of that song, "Me and Mrs. Jones," about the affair of a married woman and her lover.

I guess they felt they had the "right to be wrong."

"Me and Mrs., Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones
We got a thing going on
We both know that it's wrong
But it's much too strong to let it go now"

"Me and Mrs. Jones" reminds me of this song, "(If Loving You is Wrong) I Don't Want to be Right"

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️