Respected Contributor

Re: People Have The Right To Be Wrong

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Frank Sinatra sang a song entitled, "Everybody Has the Right to Be Wrong.

----------------------------------------

Frank Sinatra also sang a song "I did It My Way."  Do any of you have an opinion about this song?  I have a strong opinion, but will reserve comment for now; don't want to ruin the current thread.

Honored Contributor

Not knowing the actual context, or the Frank Sinatra lyrics,  I think that "people have a right to be wrong" was said with sarcasm.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I don't believe being wrong is a right. I think it is a choice. 

There are plenty of truths that some people just don't want to accept. To elevate ignorance and a stubborn need to continue be***

******************* But what is truth to one person may not be truth to another person.

Now you're getting into "opinions" here ..... my sister thinks her divorce was a failure,  and I think it was one of the best things to ever happen to her!   

Respected Contributor

Wrong and arrogant too often go hand-in-hand.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

I think this is about us giving people the right to be wrong without that bothering us.  No one likes to be told they are wrong.  It  was about stuffing each others wrongs back in each others faces.  It's about letting other people be wrong without telling them they are wrong to promote better conversations.  It is not telling them they are right....it is not telling them they are wrong.  If they are wrong it is something they must learn for themselves.  So until you yourself are ready to see it...you will not see it. That goes for all people. That's basically what the guy was saying.

I agree this could be taken a lot of different ways.  If I had created the title myself, I think I might have said..."we need to give people the right to be wrong"  On the other hand that is not for us to give and you get into the matter of choice...so I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this!!  Everyones take on it has been interesting.  It was more the title that drew me in....

there are ways to correct someone, but seriously, if people cannot accept being corrected with facts, it tells me that they do not want to know the correct information and blindly have their own narrative.

If you are refering to life choices, like marrying the wrong person and refusing to accept what others can see, at some point and time, you will have to admit you are wrong in that choice.      However, most people aren't going to "correct" you on your choice of partner (maybe some close friends and family)   

Or taking  a risk that everyone thinks is a bad move. Those things are personal life experiences.  What I was thinking of when I read your OP, was about people denying basic and factual information.   Not life choices.

*********************  I get what you are saying but you say "you would have to admit you are wrong in that choice".  Some people never admit they are wrong!  It is that person's right to either deny it or admit it.  As far as people denying basic and factual information, people get their facts and information from different sources.  They rely and trust those sources and the sources may tell each person something different.  If you don't trust my facts and I don't trust your facts, so to speak.  For example the weatherman may say it's going to rain today.  I look out my window and it's cloudy and tell DH... "the weatherman says it's going to rain today but from what I see, I don't think it will"  DH then tells me...I think he's right...look outside.  I say...I think it will clear up.  It rains.  He got his facts from the weatherman.....I looked at the sky.  Now the weatherman is the expert and he looked at the sky too.  In this case the weatherman was wrong even though he is the expert and had all the facts there on a screen...BUT....it didn't rain.   
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I don't believe being wrong is a right. I think it is a choice. 

There are plenty of truths that some people just don't want to accept. To elevate ignorance and a stubborn need to continue be***

******************* But what is truth to one person may not be truth to another person.

Now you're getting into "opinions" here ..... my sister thinks her divorce was a failure,  and I think it was one of the best things to ever happen to her!   

The way I see it is your sisters truth or what she tells herself is the truth, thinks her divorce was a failure.  Your truth or what you tell yourself is her divorce is one of the best things ever to happen to her.  So who is telling  the truth????  She thinks she is and you think you are.

Honored Contributor

"Wrong" is a concept relative to an individual's ethos. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jubilant,

We all know there is no real way to predict weather, so I don't think that's a good example.  Most of the time it's all about probability.

Part of the problem seems to be that a lot of people don't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

"I think it's going to rain today" is an opinion.  "I'm in front of my house and it's raining" is a fact unless the person is outright lying.

The sun came up today in California today.  FACT

All of California is sunny today.  OPINION because none of us know the weather in the entire state.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: getting facts from different sources... it's true the how, what, why , where can be reported in different ways, which is why it's important to get information from a credible source, or even better, from several credible sources.

What is even more important is that when one's facts turn out to be incorrect, we need to reevaluate, not merely ignore the fact that we were wrong and continue on as if we were correct in the first place.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Jubilant,

We all know there is no real way to predict weather, so I don't think that's a good example.  Most of the time it's all about probability.

Part of the problem seems to be that a lot of people don't understand the difference between fact and opinion.

"I think it's going to rain today" is an opinion.  "I'm in front of my house and it's raining" is a fact unless the person is outright lying.

The sun came up today in California today.  FACT

All of California is sunny today.  OPINION because none of us know the weather in the entire state.

********************  This is really an on going thing between DH and I....believe it or not.  He thinks weathermen are gods or something so what they say goes...."after all they went to school for this and they should know"  according to him.  We have this weather team that never gets the weather right...Even when my daughter moved back home she remarked how off the weatherman were here!  I can't tell you how many times this has happened in the last 6 months and poor DH cannot admit that the weatherman with all his training and all the data he has gathered together  isn't right)  Yet he turns back to that same channel everytime.  I guess what I am more trying to say (and I agree this probably wasn't the best example because weather is "iffy".)  that I go outside, look for myself or listen to the weatherman on another station that I think might have his data right.  A lot depends on where you get your facts.  I know what a fact is....cement is cement....it gets hard....I get that.  What some people think are facts are not....my beliefs for example, are my truths and my opinions.  I get that.  One and one equals 2.  That is a fact.  No arguing that. A lot of what people claim what they say to be facts and  are not facts.  Then they get mad because you don't believe their facts which are debateable!  .  I would never argue with anyone that one and one doesn't equal two.  Now that is a fact!    Some things we argue about that people say are fact are indeed someone's facts but not everyones facts.  We are actually reading facts into our opinions and tend to read whatever supports are opinion.