Respected Contributor

Peloton Treadmills Recalled

[ Edited ]

I have never seen a Peleton treadmill in person. Is there something about them that is different than other treadmills that would be more likely to cause injury or death?

ETA: In reading more about it, I found out it's because their elite model, the Tread+ is higher off the floor, so kids and small pets can get stuck under them.

From CNN:

Peloton recalled its Tread+ and Tread treadmills Wednesday, and the company admitted it was wrong to fight the Consumer Product Safety Commission's request that it do so.

a device with a screen: Peloton's Tread+ machine.© Peloton Peloton's Tread+ machine.

About 125,000 treadmills are included in the recall. The CPSC said that there has been one child death and 70 other injuries tied to the treadmills. But when the federal safety agency issued a warning about the dangers last month, Peloton took the unusual step of refusing to recall them.

"I want to be clear, Peloton made a mistake in our initial response to the CPSC's request," said Peloton CEO John Foley. "We should have engaged more productively with them from the outset. For that, I apologize."

In a statement, CPSC's acting chairman Robert Adler said that the announcement was the "result of weeks of intense negotiation and effort, culminating in a cooperative agreement that I believe serves the best interests of Peloton and of consumers."

Wednesday's recall covers the $4,295 Tread+ as well as Peloton's cheaper Tread, which costs $2,495. That machine hasn't yet been released in the United States. Peloton pulled both machines off its website Wednesday.

The reversal comes more than two weeks after the US agency issued an "urgent warning" for users of the machine. At the time, the CPSC said it was aware of at least 39 accidents involving the treadmill, including "multiple reports of children becoming entrapped, pinned, and pulled under" the device.

The CPSC released a video showing a small child playing with a powered-on treadmill while it lifts off the ground and the child becomes pinned under it. The agency released details of other incidents, including a child being injured when an adult was using it and "pets and objects" also being sucked beneath the treadmill suggesting "possible harm to the user if the user loses balance as a result."

Peloton refuted the agency, saying at the time its warning was "inaccurate and misleading." In a stark reversal, Foley admitted Wednesday that decision was a mistake.

Foley said Peloton will work with the CPSC to "set new industry safety standards for treadmills" because the company has a "desire and a responsibility to be an industry leader in product safety."

In response, Consumer Reports said the recall is "welcome news," but the delay left customers in danger.

"The CPSC took a strong and principled stance for safety, and clearly that's what made Peloton come to the table and agree to offer a full refund," said William Wallace, Consumer Reports' manager of safety policy, in a release. "It shouldn't have required so much time and effort to get this product recalled."

The nonprofit consumer watchdog group initially called Peloton's response, or lack there of, "outrageous."

Shares of Peloton were down 10% on the news. The company reports earnings Thursday afternoon.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Re: Peloton Treadmills Recalled

Peleton also got sued for using copyrighted music without permission which is why they use their own cheesy stuff on their commercials!!

Trusted Contributor

I've never seen one except on TV but I read that a 3 year old child was killed when it crawled underneath it and I've seen videos on the news of accidents that have occured with the Pelaton.

Honored Contributor

Treadmills are all dangerous around children.  Years ago, my DH and I were shopping in a sporting goods store.  We were waiting in line and there was a child around 6 or 7 walking on a treadmill behind us.

He was alone.  Out of nowhere his father comes up to him and says " let's go" and swipes the kids on the head.  The child did not know how to get off properly and he fell backward.  His Fanny hit the belt and he was shot violently from the treadmill across the room into a display case.  He was scared and a little bruised, but okay.  It happened so fast!

They can be dangerous to fingers as well.  treadmills that lift up to simulate walking up a hill, can suck objects, pets and people under them if they get caught on the belt.

I have one, not a Peloton, and I always keep it unplugged and remove the key when I am not  using it.  I never wanted my grandkids or pets  to get hurt.

Honored Contributor

Good... I wish they'd recall all their tiresome ads...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Good... I wish they'd recall all their tiresome ads...

—————

If you want a good laugh, go to YouTube and search for SNL pelotaunt ad. It’s hysterical.

Honored Contributor

I'm strictly a recumbent girl, but, I bet those nice machines are in the thousands. You can tell it's commercial quality. These days manufacturers

have to try to conceive every possible thing that can happen.

Nobody watches their kids any more. Kids eating Tide pods, etc. Kids getting into the gorilla enclosure at the zoo, kids jumping on the conveyor belt at the airport, etc.   I was in the dressing room one time and a kid came under the stall and looked at me. Thank God I was fully clothed he might not had been able to unsee the terror of me naked. LOL

Valued Contributor

My thoughts exactly.

Honored Contributor

They are a day late with this recall.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Probably a terrible design decision based on aesthetics. They could just put a casing around the edge of the treadmill to make it impossible to get under. They should retrofit them all like that.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr