Honored Contributor

I have been reading online about paypal.  There are several sites with angry customer complaints.  I have been thinking about selling items on Ebay to help pay for medical bills and now I am not so sure.  I am not sure which site to go to set up an account for Paypal.  If anyone feels comfortable telling me about any suggestions, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Respected Contributor

Sorry I don't understand your question   I set mine up at paypal.com.   Are you looking for an alternative to paypal?   Since ebay and paypal are set up to keep both the buyer and seller safe from each other, they are your best choice.

Honored Contributor

Are the complaints you're seeing all relating to Ebay? Issues for buyers/sellers on Ebay with Paypal are one thing (and I wouldn't know about that, I very rarely ever consider buying in Ebay), but I've used Paypal for decades and as a purchaser have never had an issue of any kind.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I am sorry,  my post is confusing.  The two questions are

1. How to set up a paypal account (either as a credit card or a regular paypal account)

2. Selling on Ebay and being successful at selling items, without being scammed

The online sites with the angry complaints were about Paypal as well as Ebay.

Frequent Contributor

I feel very comfortable using Paypal.  We have used it for years -- both for sales and purchases on Ebay.  In fact when I purchase from other websites I always use Paypal for my payment when it's offered.  I'd rather do that than enter my credit card number. 

I wouldn't be too concerned about the complaints about Paypal.  We are used to reading reviews here at QVC where people LOVE to tell others about their great purchase and encourage others to buy as well.  When someone complains, many times it's justified and I reconsider buying that item. 

With Paypal I sincerely doubt that there are many people who use and love using Paypal who go out and post about how wonderful and how convenient it is.  Therefore all you hear about are the complaints.  I also think that there are many people who love to post negative views on many subjects just to be heard.

Respected Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

I am sorry,  my post is confusing.  The two questions are

1. How to set up a paypal account (either as a credit card or a regular paypal account)

2. Selling on Ebay and being successful at selling items, without being scammed

The online sites with the angry complaints were about Paypal as well as Ebay.

As far as I know, and I set mine up years ago.

You need a email address and password,

Securely link your bank accounts, debit cards, and credit cards.

Use the PayPal button to check out with just an email and password.

https://www.paypal.com/home

Respected Contributor

Re: Paypal Questions

[ Edited ]

Because ebay used to own paypal they are linked seamlessley. Ebay and Paypal have purchase protection which is a great option.  I ALWAYS use my CC although paypal also has my checking account set up also.  I wanted the additional protection after a few bad experiences with items I had purchased on ebay using my checking account and paypal.

Ebay may have cleaned up their act with unscupulous sellers and buyers but my CC will back me up just incase.  It's easy to flip back and forth with a touch of a button.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

I can't think of any problems I have had with PayPal or eBay since they split.

PayPal and eBay need your proper email address in order for you to maintain accounts with them. PayPal requests a bank account, although for a few years I refused to give it. 

Since giving a bank account, we have never had any breech of security in any way.

In fact, I consider PayPal our second bank.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

@butterfly123, as a consumer who shops a lot online, I recently had my identity stolen.  I only have one credit card, after taking years to pay off all other credit cards...so, this was a real big bother, to have my only credit card compromised for several weeks, especially since I am ill & homebound, necessitating me doing a lot of shopping online.  

I trust PayPal.  No system is 100% perfect, so you will always find disgruntled customers...but for the most part, PayPal is excellent at protecting its customers & the Sellers who utilize this payment system.  I wouldn't worry about the few people who find fault with it, because for the most part, this payment system is highly regarded online as the gold standard of trustworthy payment systems.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

One of the major seller complaints about PayPal is they allow a buyer 180 days in which to open a case. That's six months! But, as far as I'm aware, to sell on eBay you're required to accept PayPal.

And eBay give buyers a lot of leeway. For example, some buyers say the item they received isn't as described in order to have the seller pay for return shipping. Rarely, too, does eBay side with the seller in these cases.