Valued Contributor

If you have Netflix, there is a great documentary on the life of Burt and how he started the company but lost it because of an affair he had. It's called "Burt's Buzz" (about 90 min long).

He's not broke but happily lives in a tiny shack with no electric heat or running water.

Fascinating story!!

Honored Contributor
That sounds interesting...did his wife get the company then?
Valued Contributor
On 11/23/2014 tansy said: That sounds interesting...did his wife get the company then?

Yes she did. She really screw*d him too.

Honored Contributor
Ha! Thanks, I'll look for the documentary.
Valued Contributor
On 11/23/2014 tansy said: Ha! Thanks, I'll look for the documentary.

I think you will enjoy it tansy..

Esteemed Contributor

Not a fan but I've used some products

I saw on an interview that the company was started by two females. They wanted to compete in a market saturated with organic products and needed a catchy name to stand out. They located a lone bachelor who lived life his way and he became the name and the face of Burt's Bees products.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

I watched it about two weeks ago............I thought it was a fascinating story.............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Valued Contributor
On 11/23/2014 Love Roses said:

Not a fan but I've used some products

I saw on an interview that the company was started by two females. They wanted to compete in a market saturated with organic products and needed a catchy name to stand out. They located a lone bachelor who lived life his way and he became the name and the face of Burt's Bees products.

I think that might be how they came up with the name Burt's Bees but not who started the company. It was Burt and his, at the time, girlfriend.

Occasional Contributor

I just wanted to share my love for Burt's Bees deep pore scrub with peach and willow

bark. I love it! I don't use it every day but it is the only scrub I use. I really don't use

alot of their products but I recomend this product.

Honored Contributor

I bought one of his lip products once and didn't realize it had menthol or camphor in it.  

It was worse than putting Vicks on your lips.