Honored Contributor

Man, I'm going to need someone to help me navigate this stuff, both SS & Medicare.  All I know is my husband has Part F and does not have an Advantage plan.  From things I'm seeing I don't want and Advantage plan.  

I'm currently paying over $1K/month premiums and a $7K deductible on NObamacare.  BCBS is the only choice in my area although I don't know whether there are any options on Medicare.  I know when there was another option I was on United Healthcare, but there wasn't any difference between BCBS & UH unless one had better CS, which I don't know.  All my scripts are generic.  I'm tapering off of my more expensive hormones, so the cost is minimal.  I never reach my deductible and never did when it was lower, but at least when I was on a High Deductible plan through my company (before NObamacare) I chose the higher deductible plan and premiums were a LOT cheaper.  Now it's a high deductible plan WITH high premiums.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Part D shock!

[ Edited ]

We have an appointment to speak w/somebody at our senior center regaring our part D and prescriptions.  Was just on the phone with them today. 

BF's scripts are a challenge. He has an omipod for insulin delivery and a Dexcom 6 to measure glucose. About 3 years ago, due to a blocked duct from a gallstone, he had pancreatic necrosis and had 3/4 of pancreas removed.  There is no medical classification for this type of "diabetes" and he's listed as a type 2 which makes getting coverage from Medicare B or prescription coverage a challenge.  Fortunately, he has an excellent team of endocrinologists who step up to the plate for their patients and really work to get items covered. 

My first shingles shot was not covered by part D as it is a name brand  - I have to plow thru the deductible - it was $167. 

Esteemed Contributor

Plug in your information here to compare costs of all Letterd Supplement Plans.  Zip code, age, male/female, tobacco use or not.  It will tell you what insurance companies in your area are offering you Supplement Plans.  It will give you a general idea of cost, but it's just a general idea from lowest to highest amount. 

https://www.medicare.gov/medigap-supplemental-insurance-plans/#/m?year=2023&lang=en

@781Floristis correct in the fact that it all goes up whenever they want it to.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@KailaS wrote:

I hear your pain. Last year my Part D jumped from $32.00 to $61.70 a month. The $61.70 was on a new plan that gave me better drug prices. (I lost most of my pancreas. Therefore, I do not make much insulin and need to inject massive doses of it.) The big jump for me every year is in my Supplemental Plan. I no longer am shocked and just am happy still to be able to afford my coverage. But it jumps twice a year. (I retired mid- year, so that cost increases twice a year.) 

@KailaSwhen there are significant jumps in prices like this for Medicare plans I shop around.  This year, my plan will be a little cheaper.  That does not mean I will pay less though.  I have to wait until open enrollment starts to plug in my meds to see if they have moved any of my drugs to new Tiers.  Of course they can change drug Tiers anytime of the year, but I still wait to see before sticking with what I have.  If all checks out well, then I stay put.  If not, time to go.....(If possible).  This is another way thatt you wind up paying more.

My current drug plan has added a new tier called Tier 6.  Never seen that Tier before, LOL.  Always double check to see if you are getting the best price and convenience for yourself when it comes to Medicare.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23 : DH takes Creator and our supplemental is BCBS and we've never had a problem with any approvals on that.  I wonder what is different in your case?

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Trailrun23 : DH takes Creator and our supplemental is BCBS and we've never had a problem with any approvals on that.  I wonder what is different in your case?

@patbz - plan D pays for drugs (in most cases), not the supplemental.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

To my knowledge the only thing we pay for other than part B is our BCBS supplemental and DH's CRESTOR is definitely covered.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I retired from my main job on Dec. 31 and have BCBS as my supplement.  Payments are high, but I don't have to change doctors, and at least on my plan, the drug people associated with my work plan are charging me exactly what I used to pay.  I have one expensive medicine, and it is still available at the price I am used to paying.

Respected Contributor

Meidcare isn't going to cover Aduhelm since it has not met the effectiveness threshold. A new treatment called Lecanemab from Elsai Co Ltd is asking for accelerated approval from the FDA. Biogenesis will promote it and they should have approval by early 2023. Let's hope and pray it is effective. I just lost a very dear friend last week to Alzheimers. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   If you have a trusted insurance agent, they can help you choose a plan....that is what I did when it was time to sign up for my drug plan as well as suppement.  

I do think pricing depeneds on the area you live.