Contributor

Re: Parkland shooting deputy not guilty on all counts

So despite talking points it seems everyone is in agreement that no one can stop someone with an A-15. So why can't we ban them? Clearly a "good guy" can't stop them. And Ulvade showed us cops can't either.

Honored Contributor

@3catmomma wrote:

So despite talking points it seems everyone is in agreement that no one can stop someone with an A-15. So why can't we ban them? Clearly a "good guy" can't stop them. And Ulvade showed us cops can't either.

One issue with the 'should we or shouldn't we' is the 'bad guys' will likely always find a way to get them and in this instance the 'good guy' had a handgun, so no, that would have been no match for an assault rifle. I don't think any of us has the answer, but agree, we need to start somewhere. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@3catmomma wrote:

One issue with the 'should we or shouldn't we' is the 'bad guys' will likely always find a way to get them and in this instance the 'good guy' had a handgun, so no, that would have been no match for an assault rifle. I don't think any of us has the answer, but agree, we need to start somewhere. 

Agree, my niece's and nephew's are in school and I'm terrified for them. It seems like some are like what happens happens while others are trying to find a solution. What that solution is I don't know.I know what I want it to be but most will fight it. But I and everyone else shouldn't hope that when we send a love one to school it will be their last day alive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Scott Peterson should NEVER have taken the job if he wasn't prepared to fulfill the duties assigned to it. He stood back while defenseless kids were mowed down. 

To add insult to injury,he spoke outside the courthouse after the verdict.He talked about going out to celebrate his exoneration.How disrespectful to the families of the victims. He rubbed salt in their still raw wounds!! He's despicable to talk about celebrating, after turning his back on those kids.

I don't understand how this man could live with himself. 

Honored Contributor

@3catmomma wrote:

@3catmomma  I do not see everyone in agreement that no one can stop a person with an AR-15.  The persons in this forum do not speak for everyone here and beyond.

It is also not clear that a "good guy" (which is open to interpretation) cannot stop the shooter armed with said weapon.

Uvalde was not about not being able to stop the shooter, either.

I am not interested in reporting your post either. I do not agree with you not only because it is your pov but because I find this post lacking in full substance.

Ymmv

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

I believe when future generations study and look back at this time they will be shocked we did nothing to protect children and adults being murdered in schools, theaters, clubs, grocery stores, malls and the assorted myriad of places people have been gunned down.

I felt that way about the horrific atrocities of the Holocaust and wondered how in God's name did our world get to that place and why someone did not stop it.

Just my thoughts.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Ebby Calvin LaLoosh
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@Lakelife62  Perhaps if he even attempted some type of diversion such as shooting out a window or anything else that might have taken the killer's eyes off the victims, maybe even one might have a chance to run away.

I sure as he** would be trying something, anything to help the children instead of cowering in a corner.

He knew what the job entailed and certainly realized there could be a chance something horrible might happen.

@Mersha   I am sure you are heartbroken as so many of us are but the reaction where you believe you would try anything is easy to say.

Have you ever stared down at the end of a gun or have been involved in a situation where an active shooter is roaming around?

I have a granddaughter in grammar school and we think about her every single day. DS was in high school during Columbine and we never forgot to remember those parents and how it must feel to wonder if your child will walk out or be carried out.

DH and I went to Uvalde, not to offer thoughts and prayers alone but to always remember we need more good people in this world.

We need to remember that there is no one answer but we can come together to do better not just for our own but for everyone.

We need better ways to deal with the forgotten; we need to invest in better schools, better after school programs, tutors, role models, and teachers who put children ahead of jobs 

We need to be better, do better, and raise good persons to grow into good adults. We can make better choices.

I do not know what went through his mind but I believe the prosecution used the wrong charge against him and that resulted in the verdict.

I also found his statement self-centered but I do not know what he will be feeling from now on.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3   I agree.

No, we cannot predict how we will react in a frantic life and death situation.  There is just no way to know.

You would like to think a law enforcement trained deputy sheriff would do anything in his power to try to save children.  He surely had to be trained in such situations during his career.

It would be horrible to be caught in a shooting.  I hope I never have to find out.  One thing I do know for sure is that I would do anything and everything to save a child.  I could not live with myself if I did not.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Ebby Calvin LaLoosh
Esteemed Contributor

I saw an interview with a father that lost his 14 year old daughter in the shooting. He was very distraught over the verdict. He stated the security guard heard the shooting and just stood by while children were murdered. It was the same in Ulvade, except it was the police force. 

If I recall,  Scott Peterson, just stood in a corner and did nothing. He said his radio went dead and he heard nothing.  The father of the girl said that was not true. It is sad on so many levels that people who are hired for these positions should know at sometime they may need to make a life or death decision. 17 people were killed due to his lack of action. He had nothing to celebrate. He should have crawled out on his belly like the snake he is.

Esteemed Contributor

@3catmomma wrote:

@3catmomma 

Guess you think adding another law will stop nut case criminals, eh? You ever seen and/or fired a semiautomatic rifle?

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)