Respected Contributor

Re: Parasite from Del Monte vegetables

@SilleeMee wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

RAW VEGETABLE TRAYS

Getting these types of fresh, prepared veggies on the shelf requires a lot of handling, some of which can contaminate it. I prefer not to buy stuff like that.

I'd never thought of that till last March - I made a fruit tray for my niece's bridal shower and bought a pineapple at local grocery store and asked if they could break that down for me and they said they can't bc of contamination.  They said all their party trays are also no longer made in the stores - now made elsewhere in a place with areas more like "clean rooms". 

Honored Contributor

I don't even like buying brocolli (which I love) loose sometimes. 

The ice *looks* clean and the shelves, too.  But.....are they? 

It's such a task to clean it.  I spray it, rinse it off and I soak it.  But,....that's not disinfecting it totally.

Cooking helps, but I love it raw, too.

And I buy brocolli slaw aaaalll the time.

Honored Contributor

I'm about to give up on eating raw veggies.  Especially leafy ones.  I'm old and thinking maybe in this day and age I'm taking some unnecessary chances a lot of the time.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I'm about to give up on eating raw veggies.  Especially leafy ones.  I'm old and thinking maybe in this day and age I'm taking some unnecessary chances a lot of the time.

The thing about leafy greens is that the leaves have stomata (pores) where contaminants can get inside. Any amount of disinfecting leafy greens has been proven to be ineffective because the pores 'protect' and house microorganisms...like little homes for them to breed inside.

Honored Contributor

I only buy ground meat that has been ground in the store.  Much less odds of contamination at a meat packing plant.  Avoid those "squared off" packages, you will soon learn the difference. 

Honored Contributor

I think the health and safety practices of workers in the food industry seems to be lacking.....more training and time off for illness and medical insurance should be provided.The food chain should be highly monitored and investigated to keep us safer...would make costs higher but if you get sick that comes with a large price tag and maybe lifelong effects.

Valued Contributor

Pre-cut veggies, fruits, AND cheese.  The less handling, the better.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The thing about leafy greens is that the leaves have stomata (pores) where contaminants can get inside. Any amount of disinfecting leafy greens has been proven to be ineffective because the pores 'protect' and house microorganisms...like little homes for them to breed inside.

OMGoondess what are you supposed to do then? how can you clean say fresh spinach?  or other leafy greens?  Most say they are washed many times and packaged up...should we wash these too?  but you said it's not possible to get in those pores (I know I feel this way with my facial skin pores nothing blasts the gunk out but that's a different issue entirely LOL) so your saying don't eat it?

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops, lol - you are so right about when we were "young in the middle of the last century"! News definitely didn't travel so fast, although we also didn't have prepared and packaged food available to us, except for maybe on a local level. Jiffy Pop and Swanson (I think that was the brand) frozen dinners were a few of our limited choices of pre-prepared foods!