Honored Contributor

What bothers me is Sarah Palin has such harsh words for anyone that she disagrees with.  I have to wonder if she's the same with her children when they don't do what she wants them to.

I agree with others who said we should pray for them.  Nothing else seems to help that family and it looks like it won't end well the way it's going.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I read drugs were involved. I unfortunately, have no first hand knowledge, about living with someone in that state. It's just a miracle it didn't become a homicide, or suicide, or both

Maybe under normal conditions  ,the son would not have behaved like this?

I hope they can get him some help, and that he will accept it.

You can’t get someone help any more unless they want it. It is against the law to force someone to get help once they are 12 years old.  This law is a parent’s nightmare.

This family will probably suffer some horrible and tragic event in the future.

@Carmie

Track would qualify for a 72 hour hold against his will, his parents could make that happen on the grounds he is a danger to himself and others.  He begged his father to shoot him.

True. The police officers could do that also.  But unfortunately, he’ll be right back out again.

When I worked in the appeal unit of a health insurance company, I read the most heart wrenching stories from parents of children who suffered from mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse.  They were requesting insurance to allow and pay for these kids to receive treatment as an inpatient.  As soon as they were no longer a danger, they were released and only could receive out patient services and some kids refused to cooperate.

Parents wrote of kids jumping out of the car on the Express way while it was moving to avoid going to therapy and of the parents and siblings having to sleep in the same locked bedroom at night for fear of their life ...oh, the stories used to make me cry. The doctors used to deny the appeal and I had to write the letter with my name, signature and phone number on it.  Then they would call me and cry on the phone.  My heart ached for them.

The laws allow children age 12 and over to make their own decisions and the insurance companies make it difficult to receive inpatient care when outpatient care doesn’t work.  Then benefit is there, they just won’t approve it.

Help for mental illness and substance abuse in this country is a hot mess and not effective at all.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

What bothers me is Sarah Palin has such harsh words for anyone that she disagrees with.  I have to wonder if she's the same with her children when they don't do what she wants them to.

I agree with others who said we should pray for them.  Nothing else seems to help that family and it looks like it won't end well the way it's going.

Bingo, @lucymo.  

Respected Contributor

People that tell others how to live have the most problems 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I read drugs were involved. I unfortunately, have no first hand knowledge, about living with someone in that state. It's just a miracle it didn't become a homicide, or suicide, or both

Maybe under normal conditions  ,the son would not have behaved like this?

I hope they can get him some help, and that he will accept it.

You can’t get someone help any more unless they want it. It is against the law to force someone to get help once they are 12 years old.  This law is a parent’s nightmare.

This family will probably suffer some horrible and tragic event in the future.

@Carmie

Track would qualify for a 72 hour hold against his will, his parents could make that happen on the grounds he is a danger to himself and others.  He begged his father to shoot him.

True. The police officers could do that also.  But unfortunately, he’ll be right back out again.

When I worked in the appeal unit of a health insurance company, I read the most heart wrenching stories from parents of children who suffered from mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse.  They were requesting insurance to allow and pay for these kids to receive treatment as an inpatient.  As soon as they were no longer a danger, they were released and only could receive out patient services and some kids refused to cooperate.

Parents wrote of kids jumping out of the car on the Express way while it was moving to avoid going to therapy and of the parents and siblings having to sleep in the same locked bedroom at night for fear of their life ...oh, the stories used to make me cry. The doctors used to deny the appeal and I had to write the letter with my name, signature and phone number on it.  Then they would call me and cry on the phone.  My heart ached for them.

The laws allow children age 12 and over to make their own decisions and the insurance companies make it difficult to receive inpatient care when outpatient care doesn’t work.  Then benefit is there, they just won’t approve it.

Help for mental illness and substance abuse in this country is a hot mess and not effective at all.

I wouldn’t say it’s not effective @Carmie  The problem is more that mental hospitals were shut down for the most part a few decades ago.  That and the fact that there are not enough halfway houses or other facilities to help.  The funding is not there.

Honored Contributor

There has been clear evidence that at least two of the Palin children have had serious problems with their parents.  They should have gotten help a long time ago.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, wonder why this thread is still here. Just yesterday I wished Sen. McCain the best (nothing else) and my thread was nipped in the bud immediately!

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 I agree that isa big  part of the problem, but I know for a fact that even if you have insurance for mental illness or substance abuse, you will have a wild ride trying to use these benefits. Treatment is expensive and they (insurance companies)  don’t want to pay for it.

A lot of patients could be helped if they received treatment before they were really too far gone.  Only when they hit bottom and it becomes absolutely necessary to avoid bodily harm, death or prison can they receive treatment. It would be more effective if treatment was rendered earlier.

Honored Contributor

They are the type of family that if they move in next door, you put your house up for sale because you know they are all trash.  

Frequent Contributor

I'm about ready to call QVC and cancel my orders that are in process. I'm headed over to twitter while I'm at it.