Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   I hear it's very chilly in South Florida and people are in danger of being conked in the head by falling Iguanas.  I just wanted to remind you to wear a hard hat when outside.  Apparently they have trouble grasping a branch when their feet are very cold.  They do recover and are okay.  It would not be a glorious or heroic way to die, however

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: Paging MindyD

[ Edited ]

I believe @Mindy D lives in Broward County not far from me. We did not quite hit 60 degrees today...very chilly for south Florida. Last night was not cold, but tonight it will be in the 40's, not freezing. I think the iguanas become immobile when it gets very cold, hence, the falling from trees. I have a small lake behind my condo surrounded by many trees. Most of the trees have guards around the trunks to prevent the iguanas from climbing, except the large trees outside my balcony. The iguanas all come to these trees and up the side of the building. I don't know if you remember my post a few weeks ago with my cat's encounter with a small one. I've been seeing more and more iguanas lately on my 3rd floor balcony ledge. If the cat spots them, they scare easily and fall to the ground. Its quiet now, but will warm back up to the 70's-80's in a couple of days. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  You are such a card!

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala.  Indeed I do remember the iguana entertaining your kitty.  Maybe they're looking for shelter on your balcony.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

LOL @Kachina624 

Honored Contributor

LOL

We really do get “falling iguana” warnings on the news when it is getting cold... 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D   I hear it's very chilly in South Florida and people are in danger of being conked in the head by falling Iguanas.  I just wanted to remind you to wear a hard hat when outside.  Apparently they have trouble grasping a branch when their feet are very cold.  They do recover and are okay.  It would not be a glorious or heroic way to die, however

@Kachina624 @I've seen them fall a couple of times. It's really weird when they come back to life. I'm not going out, but if I do, I'll watch for falling iguanas. 

Honored Contributor

9BD28296-4945-42C8-B8B5-A1E904397D0E.png

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging MindyD

[ Edited ]

Many years ago while living in Davie Fl, I was visiting Atlanta and my husband sent me a picture of the biggest iguana I have ever seen on the roof of the house. There was a tree and the branches hung unto the roof. I guess the iguana came down and they cut the branches. I stayed in Atlanta for the next four months until I felt comfortable to go back to Fl.

Shortly after that we moved to Atlanta. Just thinking about this makes me shiver. I can still it on that roof.

Why did I have to read this Thread lol.

Regular Contributor

lol! Funny thread!