Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

@CLEM wrote:

@Noel7  It is probably different in Germany than in England.  Royalty and gentry no longer exist in the same way as in England.

@CLEM

I think the underlying sameness is that the Patron is a benefactor, but I admit I'm not that familiar with churches in Europe except for the architecture and some history Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Not a carefree, easy life.  I recall seeing PBS footage of Queen Elizabeth in the military, driving a jeep.  I believe she was a medic?, but I'm not sure.   Way back when she was very young. Maybe eighteen or so. (?) 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I didn't realize he was still working.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

Agreed......

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

The Queen needs to step down and let her son have the throne which I think he should give up to his son immediately.  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1

Why?    Charles has been chomping at the bit to take over, and believes he is very, very relevant.  Why would he even consider stepping aside for William?    

@Tinkrbl44@kitkat1

Unless I'm mistaken, she could elect to skip him in favor of William, which I well could be, stil I agree with @Lucytink

IMO ~ Just because he's "been chomping at the bit"does not make him well qualified, and because "he believes he's very, very relevant" doesn't mean he is.  He's had NO real life experience, not even a job, which William has, and William's copybook is certainly much cleaner than his DAD's.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I'm surprised he was able to carry out his royal duties as long as he has.  Wasn't he terribly sick around the time of the London Olympics?

He and the Queen seem to care for each other, so that's all that really matters.

Friends of ours from London never had too many positive remarks regarding him.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

It wan't meant for any one person @Tinkrbl44. There are numerous anti British and anti monarchy people here, pretty much all without facts, just anger.  The anger puzzles me, it's not their country and the UK is an American ally. 

Anger?  Can't we comment on the monarchy, which by the way is covered extensively by the US press, without being tagged as anti British or ill informed?

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

It wan't meant for any one person @Tinkrbl44. There are numerous anti British and anti monarchy people here, pretty much all without facts, just anger.  The anger puzzles me, it's not their country and the UK is an American ally. 

Anger?  Can't we comment on the monarchy, which by the way is covered extensively by the US press, without being tagged as anti British or ill informed?

Who said you couldn't comment, you do often and no one stops you @SydneyH 

Yes, there are some who are angry, and I don't get it, can you explain it?  It's not our country, it really doesn't affect us at all, so why?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

The Queen needs to step down and let her son have the throne which I think he should give up to his son immediately.  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1

Why?    Charles has been chomping at the bit to take over, and believes he is very, very relevant.  Why would he even consider stepping aside for William?    

@Tinkrbl44@kitkat1

Unless I'm mistaken, she could elect to skip him in favor of William, which I well could be, stil I agree with @Lucytink

IMO ~ Just because he's "been chomping at the bit"does not make him well qualified, and because "he believes he's very, very relevant" doesn't mean he is.  He's had NO real life experience, not even a job,  which William has, and William's copybook is certainly much cleaner than his DAD's.

@Drythe

I totally agree .....   Didn't know she could choose for William to take over, bypassing Charles.   Has this ever been done before?

I've often wondered how the majority of Brits really see him, based on his track record.  A while back I recall reading something in the news about their car being pelted with raw eggs and a few people picketing, or yelling at them ... or something to that effect.   Too many people remember all too well how he treated their beloved Diana.  JMO.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Who said you couldn't comment, you do often and no one stops you @SydneyH 

Yes, there are some who are angry, and I don't get it, can you explain it?  It's not our country, it really doesn't affect us at all, so why?

Nobody is going to stop me either, however your earlier comment seemed directed to people who don't respect or worship these people.  As for the not our country thing, we can still weigh in even if it doesn't affect our daily life, it doesn't amount to 'anger' unless you just don't like what's being said.