Esteemed Contributor

At age 95 and after 70 years of public service he will stop accepting public engagements in September.  IN 2016 he attended over 200 such events.  Say what you will he and the Queen are remarkable examples of public service.  I hope he has a long and happy retirement.

Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

I just read that too. Good for him! Can't believe he is 95 years old! Wow-just Wow!  I can imagine how hard that must be each day, and he has had some bouts with pneumonia,etc. so good for him to just relax and live out the rest of his years! 

Honored Contributor

He should have done that many years ago.He probably doesn't have much energy to really enjoy retirement.I hope he has the best days ahead as he went above and beyond.

Honored Contributor

Prince Philip,

Image result for happy retirement  images

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's great that Prince Philip is retiring.His many years of service is great. However,he didn't exactly live a difficult life.He hasn't worked a real job in decades.

There are many people in their seventies & beyond who get up every morning & put in a full day of actual work.They live modestly & struggle to pay their bills.

Prince Philip retiring from an easy life of public appearances is honorable but doesn't impress me.If he had to do what us regular people do he would have retired decades ago!!

Honored Contributor

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

ITA.

Just can't believe in this advanced day & age,

we still have something so antiquated as a monarchy.

Respected Contributor

My goodness. I would NOT want to live the life Prince Philip did - always in the public eye. I remember when he and the Queen married. He was a dedicated naval officer and it was difficult for him to leave that behind. I admire him tremendously. I would NOT want the job he held the past years - no time he could call his own. He certainly supported his wife.

Honored Contributor

I'm not British so I certainly don't get a vote. but I like the monarchy way better than the worship to red carpet or dancing stars or rock stars and TV bombasts and/or know-nothings, all of which seems to dominate the rest of the world's cultures.

I guess the monarchy is just my kind of nostalgia.  Probably wouldn't be as happy if they had real powers.

Honored Contributor

I do not believe the Queen will retire ever.  At her coronation she promised to fulfill her duties for life and that as been interpreted to mean until her death.  Time will tell.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."